5.3

In the morning we travelled back to Alexandria. We successfully covered our tracks and made sure that we weren't followed. I previously helped to search around and made sure that there were any more Reapers around, Leigh tagged along too.

As we walked to the gates of Alexandria Leigh walked beside me, "So, what's this place like? The definition of home?"

"For some people, yes. We have quite a lot of people livin' here." I told him truthfully. "Hopefully you can even call it home too."

"It'll be weird calling another place home." He replied with a sigh. "Is it home for you?"

I gave a small shrug. "I sometimes travel between communities, or at least I used to. But I guess I would. Besides, I've got certain people to look after."

"Oh yeah, like who?" He asked curiously.

I gave him a teasing smile. "I guess you'll have to find that out in a few minutes..."

I still hadn't told him about CJ.

We noticed that part of the wall had gone so we walked off to it. Carol was there holding up a beam to fix part of the wall. Apparently it was because of the Whisperers. Of course. I walked over to rubble and admired the rest of Alexandria. People were mostly working hard to get the wall back up, a few others scattered here and there. But I was looking for a smaller person in particular. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small figure catching up to me. I turned around to see CJ running over to us from the other kids who he was playing with.

"There you are." I chuckled as he dashed into my arms with a laugh. "I haven't been gone for that long!"

"It's been boring!" CJ complained and jumped off me.

"You got a brother?" Leigh asked from behind me, admiring the little reunion. "Thought you were an only child."

I heard my dad snicker quietly as he walked past to go talk to Carol, I gave him a little glare as I stood up. "I am. This is CJ, CJ meet Leigh. He's been helpin' us."

CJ waved and Leigh gave him a nod back, "Nice to meet you little man."

"I'm not little. I'm nearly eight!"

"And, he's my son." I admitted and he appeared surprised at first. His eyes had widened and nodded slowly.

"Well, I did not see that coming."

"I'm used to it, honest." I responded. "It turns a few heads but thankfully nobody negatively comments on the topic now. I hope you won't either." I then added seriously.

He shot his head at me and tensed, "Oh of course- I didn't mean anything by that I just-

I let out a small snicker and held my stomach, "I'm messin' with you, don't worry. Besides, I think you both will get along just fine."

CJ tugged on my hand, "Mom you said you would teach me how to use a bow!"

"Alright I give in, I'll just be a sec okay?" I told him and he gave up, letting go of my hand and skipping away to an empty spot. I then looked back up at Leigh. "Duty calls. You'll be able to get settled in soon, we'll find you and the others a place to stay. I might know a place."

I thought to myself for a moment. We have spare bedrooms at our place, dad was in his own place next to Carol. The kids didn't take up that many bedrooms. It wouldn't be a bother. Or would it come off as sudden and eager? I wouldn't wanna come off that way-

"You alright?" Leigh asked me and snapped me out of my trance. "You went somewhere then."

I shook my head as I focused again, "We got a few extra bedrooms at mine. However just to warn you, three kids around your ankles can be tirin'."