6.9

LEIGH PERKINS' POV

I REGAINED CONSCIOUSNESS AFTER MANY HOURS OF BEING DRUGGED. I ripped the bag off my head to see myself on a bus surrounded by people who were also just awakening again. I was at the back of the bus and I tried to see out the windows, but it was useless since they were barred and my hands were zip-tied anyway.

CJ wasn't here. Where had they taken him? I swear to god if anything happens to him-

"Is everybody alright?" Ezekiel asked from the front of the bus, looking around in confusion.

"Where the hell are we?" I replied instead, only noticing a few people. I was sat near Negan and his partner, Annie, who noticed me after taking their bags off too.

"I don't know. They injected us with something though, my neck's still sore from it." The man said.

I heard Annie speak, "One of the trucks is missing." She managed to be able to see out the foggy windows.

"No sign of Gabriel, Maggie, or Rosita." Negan added, making my heart drop. Lilia would've been with Rosita at the church to check on Eugene. Did they take her too? Fuck.

"Did you see Lia?" I asked Negan, "Was she...was she there?" Negan shook his head in response, looking at me pitifully.

"They're unloading a bunch of stuff off the trucks." Kelly pointed out.

"Can you see the kids?" Ezekiel questioned, not being able to see, but Kelly couldn't see any of the children who were taken.

Shit. Where were the kids?

My thoughts were interrupted when the bus door opened and in stepped a ginger haired man I had never seen before, "Good morning, and welcome. Today is the first day of a new beginning. The world works when everyone knows their place. Your place is at the bottom. All of the resources that we use to bring the old world back into the new and sustain it, it all starts at places like this." I assumed we left fucking slavery in the old world, but apparently not. 

"You should take comfort in knowing that good people will benefit from your labor here. That is your redemption. That is your salvation." The man continued to speak whilst eyeing up everyone, "Your children are safe and being attended to. Play by the rules, you get to see them again." Thank god. "In order to do that, you must work as one. Here... nobody has a name because we have no need for them. I'm not gonna tell you mine, and you will not... address each other by yours." His keys jangled as he unlocked the gated door he was standing behind, "When I point at you, you stand up. You exit the rear." The rear door was opened by soldiers behind me.

The man pointed to many people, me not being one of them, but Annie and a few others were. They left the bus to probably go to another location as they were being transported. Everyone else left the bus and stood in a group opposite the ginger man and soldiers.

"The work is hard, but you'll be protected by our great Commonwealth." The man continued. The Commonwealth is so great that they're getting others to do their dirty work like slaves. "And although you have been delivered from the paradise of the Commonwealth, take solace in knowing that it's better being here than it is being out there..in the wastelands."

As I looked around, I noticed how there was basically nothing. There were trees surrounding the place, but on the other side were the 'wastelands'. The ground was muddy, making the place more depressing. That's probably how they wanted it so they could break us. There was wood and other materials for us to probably build and move stuff - hard labour.

"Alright, everyone! Get to work!"

I don't care what I have to do, but I'll do whatever it takes to make sure CJ and Lilia are safe.