6.6

LEIGH PERKINS' POV

I COULD FEEL MY SOFTENED BODY BEGINNING TO AWAKEN AGAIN. Although, the ground beneath me felt rough, as if I was falling down in slow motion but the ground didn't want to swallow me just yet. There was a tugging at my legs, however I couldn't see what was going on due to the big white spots that covered my entire field of vision.

What happened? What was I doing? Where am I?

"Leave him alone." I heard someone firmly say. I was surprised I could actually hear what they said. They sounded so far and high. Maybe if the ringing in my ears would stop then I'd be able to figure out what was going on.

The ringing stopped.

"Why? Afraid I'll hurt him first?" The other voice spoke, walking away from me - I knew that as the floorboards stopped making slight movement beneath me. "Because by the time I'm done...everyone you love will be dead."

I tried to move, but my legs were tied together at the knees with a thick piece of rope. The white spots started to fade, but my vision wasn't fully restored. I managed to view two figures. Maggie was tied to a chair, but I couldn't see her face. Leah sat opposite her with a gun in her hand.

My right hand moved forward, only for a second, as it got stuck in place due to the rope around it keeping me in place. Same with the other. 

At this point Leah had clearly noticed I was awake, as a smirk had risen on her face. I did my best to sit up, ignoring the painful feeling in my lower abdomen. It was only until I looked down at my stomach when I realised that Leah had most likely cut me during our trip here, although I could hardly remember a thing.

"I wouldn't move that much if I were you, Leigh." Leah finally spoke, after watching me for a while. Slowly, my head turned towards her and I attempted to hide the shock on my face at the fact she was really here. "Don't want the bleeding to get worse, don't you?"

Maggie did her best to look at me even though it was difficult considering that I was behind her. A worried look was spread across her face. I tried to shake my head and tell her I was okay, but she didn't buy it.

"Then...I guess that makes us even." Maggie's shaky voice became still. I secretly noticed her hands moving the rope behind her secretly. "I took your family, you take mine."

Leah chuckled, looking out the dirty window for a moment, "Nature has a way of taking care of these things.

"It's not nature. Or fate." I interrupted with a scoff, also catching onto what Maggie was doing. Stalling. The ropes around my hands weren't as good as Leah probably expected. After all, there were two of us and only one of her. 

"It's us. I killed your people because it was what I wanted." Maggie grimaced, leaning towards Leah, who had angrily raised her gun. "If this is what you want, Leah... Go ahead. You want it, so do it. Go on."

Leah's eyes snapped to me, but she didn't drop her gun. "And this is what you want too? Leigh?" I saw tears in her eyes, but her stubbornness refused to let them fall. "We helped you and Ryan. Gave you a home and a purpose. But, this was how you repaid us."

I shot forward, clenching my hands together behind me in fists. My face began to feel hot whilst my knuckles turned white at her mention of my brother. My brother who she lets get eaten by those monsters. My brother who she killed. "You don't deserve to talk about him."

"Or what?" She spat back, not breaking eye contact. Then she stood up, lowering her arm for a second, as if she was contemplating whether to do what she was about to do, before raising it again. The cold metal of the gun was almost pressed against my forehead. "You gonna kill me...like you killed your brother?"