5.7

I QUICKLY RETRACED MY steps back to the alley where I left Leigh, praying that he was alright. The thought in the back of my mind still said that the man was bluffing. I'm probably just overthinking it. It made me wish I hadn't of killed him out of anger now.

There was no way we were followed by anyone else, I would've seen it. God, I wish I listened to Leigh while I still could. Maybe then I wouldn't be in this panicking state. It made me not be able to help but think about everyone else.

I saw Duncan get stabbed, but didn't help, Cole got tackled, and I didn't have time to follow my dad to help him even though I had the chance. I kept thinking about Maggie, Alden, Gabriel and everyone else who I didn't see. I was so focused on myself that I don't even know who's alive right now.

So, I guess I'm just frantically hoping that I can find Leigh before any other fuckers do.

I sprinted past the wall, ignoring how I was leaving bloody footprints behind me and not bothering to slow down my pace. However, when I got to the dead end, I instantly stopped. Everything stopped as I bit my tongue in anger against myself.

Leigh was gone.

There was blood in his previous spot. The only thing left was his mask, which he never liked to take off. Only that. I ran my hands through my hair in frustration, thinking about where he could've gone in that short time.

I went back out of the spot and looked around, seeing if there was any sign of him. I turned the corner to see the woods again, maybe there were tracks. I inhale sharply before heading in that direction. It made sense for them to take him there as everywhere else was just open space and tall grass.

I trekked into the deep woods, which wasn't as dark since it was starting to get lighter. It was better for me that way anyway as I could see much clearer, however, the mud wasn't helping anything. Though I could just about see some footprints. Some were deep and rough, indicating they were rushing in attempt to cover them up or that there was struggle.

"Get off me!"

It was like I could sense it before it was even spoken. I immediately ran in the direction of the demand, brushing past the sharp trees and slipping through the bushes. My loose weapons clattered onto my body repeatedly, but I could worry about the later as I took out my sword and continued to run.

Up ahead were more walls that were partially overgrown, surrounding a really tall, metal tower. The grass was high in multiple places, making me realise that I had to be cautious. They could be anywhere, it made the tracks difficult to see. They were leading in that direction, so that's where I went.

I crouched through the grass, making sure no other masked wearers were in hiding. I quickly got to the wall and walked close to it until I saw an opening. I peered around the corner to see if anyone was there but I couldn't see anyone.

However...I did hear several voices.

One I recognised. I jogged past a few other abandoned buildings, following the voices. Once I heard a dog bark was when I knew I was getting somewhere. It couldn't just be any coincidence.

I thought I was getting somewhere until I turned a corner to be faced with another dark figure. I caught my breath in my throat, but I realised I still had my sword so I made an attempt to use it. Though it was no use.

I was kicked in the stomach, making me hurl over, but I didn't fall completely. I lunged and slung my sword yet the other person was quicker, dodging away from the wall and pushing me against the hard barrier. I groaned at the sudden attack, looking up to see their fist flying towards me.