6.5

LEIGH PERKINS' POV

EVEN AFTER GIVING SEBASTIAN THE MONEY, Daryl and I couldn't catch a break. I desperately wanted to smack the guy's face off when he gave us the tiniest amount of money for what we went through. That spoilt asshole is gonna get it coming soon.

We're were told that some trouble had happened with Aaron and Gabriel's assignment to talk to a nearby group - who were known as being violent - and Hornsby recruited some more troopers, since the ones with Aaron all got killed, and Daryl and I were told to come too.

We suited up again and hit the road, marching in a pack as if we were real soldiers. 

After going to the large building where the others were, Hornsby announced that we had to go to Hilltop. He thought that if these 'killers' were still out there then we had better warn them, but I assumed that he just wanted to go there for another opportunity to try and recruit Maggie or even try and get rid of her. After all, Hornsby clearly didn't know that it was Aaron's and Gabriel's hidden group were the ones that got rid of the soldiers. We just had to be sneaky about it.

We made it to the rusted gates of Hilltop after we came across a small group of walkers, which Hornsby told Daryl and I to kill alongside Aaron and Gabriel so we wouldn't waste ammo. Maggie was at the top of the gates, looking down upon us. She didn't know that Daryl and I were here yet since we had our helmets on, but it would take some convincing for her to open the gates.

"Afternoon, Maggie." Hornsby greeted with his usual smile - the type that tried to act friendly, but you know they're up to something. "Good to see you again."

Her arms were folded, looking fed up with the man's unwanted greetings at her home. "What do you want?" She asked.

"There are some killers on the loose. We lost a lot of men." Hornsby began, as if Maggie gave a shit. "So I'm hunting them down. And the property they stole, the Commonwealth's property."

Maggie simply shrugged, "I don't know anything about that." A small lie, obviously, as she was there with Negan's new group. Aaron and Gabriel tried their best to discreetly inform us on what happened back there, which was difficult as there were troopers all around them.

"Well, of course not." He slightly chuckled, "So you wouldn't mind if we just do a quick look around, right? Rule you all out. For the paperwork."

"I gave you my answer."

Daryl had clearly had enough, walking through the group of troopers and over to Hornsby. They muttered to each other slightly, and I could just make out that he wanted to talk to Maggie himself, making a deal with Hornsby.

Daryl stepped forwards to the gate, I also saw Hornsby directing his gaze at me, nodding over to Daryl. I quietly sighed, glad my helmet was on for now. I took it off though, walking beside Daryl.

"It doesn't have to be this way." Maggie told us, realising it was Daryl and I.

Daryl took his helmet off and shook his hair out of his eyes, looking up at Maggie. "Yeah, it does." 

"We only wanna look around. It won't take long, I promise." I spoke up, holding my helmet under my arm. Maggie still wasn't convinced, adjusting her weight onto her other foot unnervingly. "You expect me to trust him?"

"We ain't askin' you to trust him." Daryl called back, briefly looking at me for a moment. "We're askin' you to trust us."

Maggie continued to stare back tiredly whilst everyone on the ground silently awaited her answer. A few seconds passed, which felt like years under the leaders' gaze, and she looked down at the gate to give a small signal for us to be let in. Once that happened, the gates slowly opened and in flooded our small group.