5.4

A FEW WEEKS LATER.

THE AIR FELT SINISTER. It was a deathly cold which caused shivers to go up my spine. We were getting ready to scout an abandoned military base which someone had mentioned. It was a risky task, requiring a lot of people. I was luckily enough to even be allowed to join yet my firmness convinced everyone, including my dad who didn't want me to come in the first place.

I was looking out at the dark clouds whilst everyone was getting ready and setting everything up. Leigh walked towards me and stood next to me, his crowbars were tucked in his belt however his mask was in his hand. I looked up to him and he gave me a reassuring smile. Seeing the rest of his face felt strange, it was like I was being nosey with his privacy as he kept it hidden for so long.

His scar, which reached from the top of his lip and travelled downwards to his chin, was noticeable but no one questioned it. It still looked like it wasn't properly healing as its colour was slightly vibrant however he still didn't think it was an epic conversation starter still. I was lucky enough to even be seeing his face. He put his mask back on before we both turned around, so nobody else could see. 

The group took the large window frame off carefully and put their rope down the gap carefully. Everyone clipped themselves on and slowly slid down, trying not to make too much sound since there were a lot of walkers on the ground. It was strange to see so many unresponsive walkers however I thought I could still hear their growling.

We stepped over their bodies and reached a door which had a padlock. Magna started to unpick it straight away with everyone else on guard. I had my sword and knives on standby just in case yet I hoped that I wouldn't have to use them.

Magna picked the lock and it opened with a clang. We all gritted our teeth and hoped that the walkers wouldn't react. Maggie stood frozen, Carol's eyes widened, Leigh held his crowbars warily and I stayed by the door with Magna, who was hoping that her actions didn't cause any bad effect.

Thankfully it didn't.

The door opened with a small creek. I held up my knives ready as we walked into the long hallway. We split into pairs to search the unknown rooms so we could hopefully find any resources. Our communities could really use anything we could find. Whether that was a few extra materials for weapons or a whole bunch of food.

Leigh led the way down a hall and into the room whilst I was following closely  behind. He opened the door and there were thankfully no walkers inside, just some broken shelves and a few drawers. We search the drawers, one by one. I luckily found a few brown bags of food, yet Leigh was unlucky.

There wasn't much time to sulk over it so we went back to the main room in a quiet manner. Some of the others were attaching their bags full of goods to the ropes so the others could pull it up. Leigh put the bags of food we found in a rucksack and then attached ours as well for those on the roof to pull.

All was going well, for once. Everyone warily watched where they stepped, in hopes to not awaken the walkers. It was strange to see them unresponsive but we couldn't make a sound. 

Until one of the ropes snapped.

Thankfully, my dad grabbed the bag, leaning over the gap to reach it. My heart dropped for a second. I thought either my dad would fall or the bag would drop to the ground. I squeezed my hands together, praying that the walkers wouldn't be woken up by the clanging sound.

However one of the walkers on the ground started to growl quietly, lifting its head up and looking around. It caused more walkers to wake up too, clawing the ground until they eventually gained the strength to stand up. Which meant we were all surrounded. I put both of my knives back in my pockets and decided to use my sword instead, since it was easier than hand to hand with a walker. I easily sliced walkers head's off with ease however there were more spreading out and trying to reach at us in all directions.