6.3

LEIGH PERKINS'  POV

"LEIGH!"

"RUN!"

"JUST GO! FUCKING G-"

The everlasting screams ran through my head. Where am I? Why is the voice so familiar...

No...Not this.

The trees cut off most of my view, but thank god it was light so I could just about see through the thickness. Where on earth was he? I swore that he was right behind me. My rifle was glued to my hands, my finger grazing the trigger just in case.

"Perkins! Let's go." A voice called me. An angry voice, which was too familiar, made my heart pounce. Sweat was dripping down my forehead. I hated this. I spun around, seeing Carver pulling down his mask. "Are you deaf? We gotta fuckin' move, now."

It was like I couldn't say what I wanted to. My mouth moved on its own and my head shook, "No. Ryan is still out here!"

Ryan? Shit.

Another person came into view, this time it was a woman."It's too risky to go get him, you know that Leigh." Leah spoke more calmly than Carver. She nodded her head over to them, "Come on."

My mouth opened again, but a yell came from behind me. Ryan's voice bellowed through the woods, as if he wasn't that far behind from us. I looked back at the two people in front of my before running through the woods.

"Leigh!" Leah yelled back, looking at Carver before racing after him.

"I'm gonna fuckin' kill him." Carver gritted through his teeth.

My legs felt light they were burning. "RYAN!" I yelled as loud as I could, straining my voice. If I had to scream until my throat bled to find my brother then I would.

After the death of my mom, Melissa, and my stepdad, Mark, we weren't the same. It broke us, but we stayed together ever since. I wasn't going to let that happen to us.

My rifle clattered against my chest and the branches shot over my head every time I ducked. I began to lose breath and hope until I saw rotters in the distance. One dropped to the floor in an instant after gunfire went off. Definitely from Ryan. I made it past a few more trees, raising my gun and shooting three rotters in the head, one was just about to try and bite its way through Ryan's boot.

He looked up startled, before he caught his breath. "Thank fuck." I didn't bother to stop and catch my breath. I ran over to him, lending him a hand, which he took, so I could pull him up. Once I did I whacked his arm, "Asshole. Why'd you run?"

"I thought- Nevermind...I swore that I heard someone." Ryan breathed out, running a hand through his jet black hair. His chest heaved until his green eyes widened at something behind me. "Shit."

I spun around to see more rotters. It was like a mini herd of them, which must've followed the gunfire. I raised my gun, but Ryan put his hand on my arm to lower it. He shook his head, "The sound will draw more. We don't wanna be surrounded."

"Too late." I whispered, my voice hurt too much to speak or admit the fact that more rotters were coming to us from behind. "I'll get these, you get them." I rushed out, putting my rifle to rest at my back so I could get my knife. 

I approached a rotter, sinking my knife through its skull before pulling it out, just to do the same to another one. I looked to the side and saw more coming, one tried to grab my arm, but I luckily stabbed it in the temple. My hands started to cramp, but I couldn't rest now. The thought of getting to safety made my blood pump faster, so I killed another one.