5.10

THE NEXT DAY my dad and Leah went out hunting whilst I stayed behind at the camp with Leigh. It was in my best interest to avoid Carver and mostly everyone else, apart from Leigh. I hadn't spoken to him since that night in the shack before it blew up, after that we had been distant. 

We still couldn't escape the eyes of Reapers. They were always watching us. However we were always watching them. 

Leigh's wounds were healing well, they were still a bit sore, but overall fine to handle. If it wasn't for Carver's drastic actions then he would've been fine, causing my anger towards the man to rise despite how much Leigh tells me to ignore him. 

I didn't tell anyone about the encounter we had at the house upstairs. I decided to leave it to myself. At first I didn't understand what Carver meant, however with some thinking I attempted to try to work it out whilst avoiding him with Leigh.

It was until we saw a horde of walkers ahead near the walls when we saw him again, yet he luckily kept his distance. Leigh and I followed everyone up the ladder to look over the walls, seeing the big crowd of walkers which were circling in a strange, but familiar way that was thankfully unknown to the reapers.

That could mean one thing. Maggie and the others were close.

"You ever seen rotters move like that?" Pope asked, looking at my dad who had passed the binoculars over to me to get a better look. I tried to see any sign of the group, but they were very hidden.

"Yeah. Yeah. I've seen that before." My dad nodded. "South of here. Don't know why it happens. They just gather up a whole bunch of them and move off."

"Could take them down, like we did at that hospital in Rockville." Carver spoke. "Easy."

"Till you almost bought it and I had to save your ass." Leah fired back. 

"That was just when things were getting fun." He smiled. "Even Perkins had a good time, ain't that right?" He looked down the line at Leigh who avoided his gaze.

"Oh leave him alone." Leah stated.

"I can lead them out about two miles and just double back. Less work, less risk." Dad suggested.

"Yeah, less balls." Carver scoffed.

"Unless you wanna waste ammo just to get rid of some rotters then I don't see a better idea." I commented, causing Carver to glare at me once more.

"We'll try it Dixon's way." Pope announced and looked at one of his men, "Wells. You think you could move those rotters?"

"Yes, sir. I can do it." Wells nodded.

"I've done it before." Dad attempted.

"Wells can handle it." Pope insisted, looking more smiley than usual. I looked up at Leigh to give a questioning look, but he appeared confused as well.

Wells went over to the woods to lead some part of the walkers away, talking on the walkie every now and again until he stopped responding. He said that there was a problem but before he could explain he was immediately cut off, going silent.

We thought it was just a mistake with the communications so we didn't question it for a bit. It was until everyone was gathered inside, worried for Wells, when we realised something had gone wrong. My guess was that Maggie had taken him out somehow.

"I'm going after him." Leah announced after receiving no message from Wells through her walkie.

"There's no point. He's already dead." Pope stopped her.

Leah stood stiff for a moment. "No, I've seen him kill dozens of rotters at a time."

Pope stayed in his spot, "Oh, they didn't kill him. She did it. My enemy." He inhaled sharply before chuckling. "So you did come back."