Hate

Any other day of the week, I would've had plenty of options for someone to accompany me to the store and perhaps even stay throughout the evening.

I felt like being surrounded in a full house tonight.

Suzie was road-tripping with Jack. CJ was visiting friends in Seattle. Scout was filming. Kassie was in London. I didn't want to call John or J.B. on their days off. My brothers were working, and even though Taylor said he'd be available later in the evening, I could hear the questions in his voice, so I said never mind and stuttered my way through a lie. I dropped her phone on the kitchen counter, frustrated. Even if I'd managed to convince my brother that it was no big deal and that I was on her way out, I knew that it was a very big deal and my plans were pretty much kaput.

It started three weeks ago. The notes. The feeling of being watched, followed, and it was different than being stalked by paps.

At least paps made themselves known, scum that they are. If this person wanted to rattle her nerves by leaving threats inside my car while I was at a meeting, then they'd met their mission: totally fucking possible.

I hardened my face in public, a well-practiced art that was beneficial when paps hurled hateful words in my direction. But the bravado faded with each escalating note. I wanted to dismiss it.

I'd received threats from fans and haters in person without flinching. I learned how to disconnect myself from the fear, but the other day I recalled that my mentor Jodie Foster was once traumatized emotionally and mentally after a serious situation involving a stalker.

I began to doubt my non-handling of the situation. I groaned into my palms and rubbed at my face. I needed to tell Ed.

"That doesn't sound good, love."

The sound of dog nails clicking on the tiles followed him. Ed embraced me from behind and gave me a soft kiss near my ear.

"Understatement." my voice wavered as I choked out the attempt at a joke. The solidity of my husband's arms around me made her feel safe, and I realized it was the only thing keeping me from completely falling apart. Still, my shoulders began to shake as I cried.

Concerned and needing to know the cause of my pain, Ed loosened his grip and moved to turn me so I was facing him. Except I held onto his arms around me and shook my head.

"P-p-please," I sobbed out.

At that, he held me even tighter and didn't say a word. Me,His wife needed him to simply be there and keep her grounded. Slowly my tears began to subside and I no longer had to gasp for each breath. I knew Ed couldn't go very long without an explanation now. He backed up as he felt my begin to move, and with our hands linked, I led him to the table. We both needed to be seated for this conversation.

Not knowing where to start, I reached for my bag and pulled out a large stack of pictures and notes. IShe placed them in front of Ed without a word.

"It started three weeks ago. On a Thursday. I didn't think it was ..."

His eyebrow furrowed at the timeline. Three weeks. It was a long time to go without saying something. The stack in front him seemed too large for three weeks.

"... sometimes multiple times a day."

His hand shook as he read the most recent threat left on our front step that morning and the images taken of us from Our home.

"DAMN IT." His fist pounded the table and his nostrils flared. He wanted to hit something. He wanted tear every note, every picture to shreds, but it was all evidence that they needed to show to the proper authorities.

"I know-"

"Fuck, why did you wait? I'm your husband! We're supposed to share this shit, Honey."

"We just got back, okay! And I'm selfish for wanting a few more days of newlywed bliss before dealing with these insane bitches again."

"This is all my fault."

"Ugh, no. Don't you do that. It's not your fault any more than it's mine. You're not even whatever sick fantasy of ED SHEERAN lives in their heads. I know. I know I should've said something sooner, but I thought it was all idle threats."

"Baby, this fucking ... they've been here."

"I know." I nodded as more tears fell. They'd put a lot into refurbishing and decorating their sanctuary. "I was going to tell you today, I swear."

"We have to call everyone. Nick, Ruth, Dean, J.B.... Everyone. We might even need extra security."

"I just... ughhhh, I'm so stupid. I just wanted to give everyone until Monday. Things have been so quiet and nice, and I wanted it to stay that way for a while longer."

He pulled me into his lap and kissed my pout. "We deal with this, Honey. Vacations and weekends be damned. The sooner we do... the sooner we can return to our regularly scheduled newlywed phase."

"But first..."

"First we have phone calls to make, and a police report to file. I need you safe."