first word

"Mmmmmmmma Mmmmmmmma," I cooed. "Mama, mama, mama, mama."

Ed walked in the room and stopped in his tracks. I had our daughter perched on my knees and as our baby girl chewed on her fists, I repeated mama over and over.

"No fair!" Ed cried. "I have to work today. If all you do is repeat that, she'll say that first. You have an unfair advantage today."

I laughed and danced the baby in My lap. "MA MA!" I over enunciated as she looked straight at Ed and winked.

"Not fair!" Ed whined as he shook his head.

****

Ed's Pov

"Dada, dada, dada," Ed swayed with his little girl against his chest. "You can do it, Emma. Dadadadada."

Raquel came to the door of the nursery and leaned against it as she watched me interact with Emma. "Who has the unfair advantage now?"

"You had all day," I tried to defend myself. "You probably have Xander trying to help you out too."

Raquel shook her head and bit her lip.

"You do! I knew it," I jeered. "You enlisted the help of our son?"

Shaking her head and holding her hands up, Raquel laughed. "I didn't!"

"Did she baby girl?" I lifted our daughter in the air in front of my face and gave her a smile. Babbling, Emma sounded as if she were trying to tell me something. Smiling widely, I couldn't resist bringing her to my face and dropping kisses on her cute cheecks.

"She won't learn to talk if you keep cutting her off," Raquel teased as she pushed herself off the wall and exited the nursery. "Mamamamamamamama," she sang as she made her way down the hall.

****

(STILL ED'S POV)

Emma sat in her bouncy seat and kicked her feet wildly as she babbled away. I watched her with one eye, but tried to focus on the script Raquel was trying to look for in the other room. When she got her sock off her chubby foot and started to giggle, I gave up and leaned over to talk to her.

"You have to leave these on, Lovey. Your feet will get cold,"

I explained as I shoved her foot back in the sock and nibbled on her toes, drawing out another giggle.

Pulling My head back, I smiled widely and reached to brush my fingers against her cheek as she wrestled with her foot and tore the sock off again. "You need to listen to Daddy," I giggled as I snatched the sock back from her and returned it to her bare foot.

"Dada," Emma mumbled before she flailed her arms and bicycled her feet with excitement.

I froze and looked at her with wide eyes

"Dada dada," she repeated.

Glancing over My shoulder, I searched the immediate area for Raquel as i plowed my hands through my hair and started to panic.

"Emma," I turned back to the baby in her seat and tried to get her attention. "Say MMMMMMaaaaa, MMMMMMaaaa."

"Dada," Ava sputtered and blew a raspberry.

"Mama," I whispered. "Shit, say mama. Mama. Mama."

"What are you doing?" Raquel's voice sounded behind me, causing me to sit straight upright and Emma to squeal with excitement at the sight of her mother.

"Uhhh...I was just," I stammered and looked to our daughter with pleading eyes, praying she wouldn't repeat her new vocabulary word while Raquel was standing there.

"Mamama," Raquel sang as she turned to our daughter and released the belt that held her in the chair. "Can you say Mama?"

I drove my hands into my hair and pulled as i bit my lip and scrunched up my nose. Raquel looked at him, quirked an eyebrow and bit the inside of her cheek as a small smile played on the corners of her lips.

"Did something happen, babe? You look a little green. Are you okay?" She asked as she bounced the baby in her arms.

"Say Mama. Mama," I begged to our daughter and offered Raquel a sympathetic look.

"Dadadada," Emma mumbled as she grabbed Raquel's necklace in her chubby fingers and brought it to her mouth.

"Oh fuck," I whispered and dropped my head in my hands.

Raquel watched me wiggling in the chair and shaking my head, obviously feeling awful for 'teaching' the baby to say my name first.

She let him squirm for a minute while she retrieved the charm of her necklace from Emma's drool covered hands before she spoke.

"You do know that all babies say Dada first, don't you?" She said with amusement as she adjusted Emma on her hip and reached out to tousle my hair.

Lifting my head, I stared at her with wide eyes and opened and closed my mouth several times before swallowing and narrowing my eyes at her.

"But...you...I thought...When Xander said dada first, you cried and said...I thought..."

Raquel laughed and kissed the baby before handing her off to me. "I didn't know any better then," she shrugged and bent to brush her lips against mines.

"But you were trying to get her to...I thought..." I stammered as settled Emma against me thigh.

"I was giving you shit, Babe," Raquel laughed and bit his bottom lip gently.

Groaning, I started to laugh. "You got me," I mumbled against her mouth.

"I know," Raquel nodded and deepened the kiss.

"Dadadadada," Emma babbled as she bounced on my lap between us."DA DA!"