26. Powers Out

El would call you and Max once a week to update you on how she was doing. Her grammar was sounding better and you were happy for her.

It sounded like she was making friends pretty easily which made you happy because you knew how bitchy the girls could be at the Californian schools.

About a month after you got the job at family video your dad and Susan decided to get a divorce. He wanted you to come with him but Susan said she would die before she'd let that happen.

He left, he said he would call you once a month but you didn't believe him. You didn't care either, he was a piece of shit and you were glad he was out of your life. Susan was the most parental person in your life and you hadn't even known her your whole life.

You were having a harder day today, it was a Sunday and you were stacking movies on the shelves, it was just you and Steve today.

It was a kind of shity day, it had been raining all morning so there wasn't many people coming into the store. You were thankful for it since you didn't really feel like being a happy go lucky customer service girl today.

You walked over to the desk and set the few movies that there wasn't space for on the counter and sighed and sat on the stool. Steve must have super hearing even though he's been hit in the head hundreds of times because he came over right after.

He set his movies and leaned over the counter looking at you and you just gave the best smile you could. He shook his head and came around the counter. "No one's here, you don't have to put a face on for me. What's on your mind?" He asked leaning across from you loosely crossing his arms.

You pursed your lips and looked anywhere but at him. "I'm fine, I'm just tired." You shrugged picking and you nails.

He studied you, questions running around in his head, but he knew you wouldn't answer them honestly. "Let's watch something fun. How about The Karate Kid?" He asked jumping down from the desk and ran around to the shelf and grabbed it happily.

You giggled a bit at how cheerful he was and nodded your head. "Sure, why not." He smiled happy he was able to get you to smile again and walked back up to the tv and turned it on and put the movie in.

You both watched the screen sitting in the stools and watched the movie. You were about twenty minutes in and all of a sudden the power cut out. You both looked around confused and then a loud Thunder came and you shrieked and grabbed for Steve's hand cowering.

"Whoa, hey it's okay. It's just some Thunder. Damn it's really bad out there." He said looking back at the doors seeing the heavy rain coming down and the trees moving wildly while he rubbed your back soothingly and ran his thumb over your knuckles.

"Oh my gosh, that's so embarrassing. I'm sorry." You said red with embarrassment and pulled your hand away.

"It's okay, really. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. I was scared of Thunder till like ninth grade." He said and you looked at him with furrowed eyebrows at his honesty.

"One, really? And two, that doesn't help since I'm, still, scared of thunderstorms." You said and he chuckled at your wide eyes.

"Yes, really. And it's not irrational, lightning can literally kill you." He said.

"Exactly, everyone should be scared of it, but I usually am able to control my shrieks, it was just sudden." You said.

"It's no problem, your secret is safe with me." He assured with a smile.

"Thank you. Also, what do we do now?" You asked.

"Well, nobody's coming here in that weather and it's definitely to dangerous to drive in it so..." he said walking to to back without finishing his sentence and you just sat there confused.