42. Preparing for Battle

Steve drove to a large field where you all spread out making the weapons to prepare for the battle. Eddie and Dustin were making trash lid shields with nails going through them.

Max and Nancy were sawing the end of the shot guns to make sure neither of you missed. Erica and Lucas were making spears and you, Robin and Steve were making gasoline bombs.

You were looking out to the field and saw Eddie tackle Dustin and started to laugh. Dustin pulled back then tackled Eddie back. Eddie immediately went for his underwear. "No wedgies! No wedgies!" Dustin yelled and you laughed making the other two beside you look up at the scene and laugh too.

"You guys take really good care of him. You both love him so much. It's adorable." You said taking to Steve about Dustin.

"He's a good kid. What's not to love about him. I mean yeah, he definitely needs his ego in check, but that's what we're here for." Steve shrugged and you and Robin gave each other a look since it was cute when Steve to talk about Dustin that way.

"Anyway it just doesn't make sense." Steve continued the conversation from before.

"What doesn't makes sense?" Robin asked as she poured the gas into the glass bottle.

"That was Dan Shelter. He graduated, like, two years ago." He said talking about when they saw Vickie and him in the store together.

"So?" Robin asked.

"So, he's in college which means he's visiting on spring break. Fast times was returned, like, I don't know..." Steve said.

"A week ago." You finished. "Unless she got it for her horndog brother we don't know about, I checked her out."

"Or she's just, like, really into Judge Reinhold?" Steve continued.

"Guys." Robin said.

"What?" You both asked.

"I don't care. And I don't understand why you guys do either with everything that's going on. Honestly, this feels like a perfect time for that little pull of the rug because... in the face of the world ending, the stakes of my love life feel spectacularly low." She said.

"Yeah. I mean, I get you there, but, I still have hope." Steve said handing her the finished bottle and you handed him the next one.

"Not everything has a happy ending." Robin said.

"Yeah, yeah, believe me, I know." He said and looked to the field where Nancy was aiming the shot gun.

"I'm not talking about failed romance. I just, I have this terrible, gnawing feeling that, it might not work out for us this time." Robin said and you couldn't help but agree, something felt off.

"You think we shouldn't be doing this?" Steve asked.

"I think we're mad fools, the lot of us, but, but if we don't stop him, who will?" She asked and looked to the field.

You smiled as you saw Eddie and Dustin messing around jumping over each other like they were mid battle and Lucas and Erica trying to use the spears. "We have to try, right?" You asked.

Steve and Robin nodded in agreement. "Yeah." Steve said and held up the half done bottle in his hands to the both of you. "To killing Vecna." He said with a small smile.

"Slash Henry." Robin said with a smirk holding up a finished one.

"Slash one." You said with an empty one in your hand with a smile and you all clinked your bottles together.

You finished filling the bottles and got up from the crate you were sitting next to Steve on. "Oh, by the way I have a pair of combat boots for you in there and a shirt." Steve said standing up.