44. Nightmare

You walked to the Creel house and saw an ambulance and a police car outside. "Max! Lucas! Erica!" You yelled running closer.

You saw Max coming out of the house on a stretcher. "Max, oh my God. Is she breathing. Is she okay?" You asked following the paramedics to the ambulance.

"Ma'am, you gotta calm down, she's alive but she's in critical condition." He said.

"Calm down? She's my sister, don't tell me to calm down." You said angrily and Steve pulled you back.

"Hey, hey, let's not get angry with the guys trying to help her." He said.

You looked over and saw Lucas and saw he was talking to one of the officers with Erica beside him. He had cuts all over his face with a big black eye and looked completely disheveled. You quickly ran up to him and he looked at you with a quivering lip.

You brought him into a tight hug and he held you back. "She died, she was dead for at least a minute and then all of a sudden she started breathing." He said pulling back. "Jason came and smashed the music player so I couldn't save her. She just started to snap. And I couldn't do anything."

"It's not your fault Lucas. You did the best you could." You said trying not to cry, knowing this was hard for him. Steve looked at you sadly knowing you were suppressing your emotions.

                                                 *
Steve came with you to the hospital to fill out all the paperwork since you couldn't get into contact with Susan and hoping it was just because the phone towers were down.

They got Max into a room and casted both of her legs and one of her arms and her face was cleaned from the blood that was running from her eyes. They had her attached to machines but she was able to breath on her own.

They have no idea how it was possible she was alive. She was a miracle. She wasn't responsive and she had a large chance of being blind, they didn't know how long she had or if she was gonna wake up any moment.

You and Steve got your wounds treated too and Dustin got his leg checked out, thankfully they didn't ask any questions since the hospital was full of people since the earthquakes hit.

You were sat beside her bed and Steve was standing behind you holding your shoulder while you held her hand and let yourself cry.

"Nancy's here, Let's go get cleaned up, it's been a long few days." Steve said after you started to calm down again. You nodded and wiped your face and said your goodbyes to Max. The nurses promised to call the Wheeler's house if any updates happened.

When you got to the Wheelers it was almost sunrise. Nancy gave you a change of clothes, an extra toothbrush and a towel and you went into the bathroom.

You saw the guitar pick necklace around your neck as you undressed in front of the mirror. You turned the shower on, stepping in and let the warm water fall over you as you went to the ground holding your knees to your chest letting out as much as you could.

After you finished you dried yourself and changed into the pjs Nancy had given you. You hung your towel on the rack after drying your hair some more and opened the door. You saw Steve laying on the ground outside of the door with his jacket under his head.

You furrowed your eyebrows and knelt down and shook his shoulder, "Steve?" He grumbled and turned over slightly and squinted his eyes. "Have you been out here the whole time?"

"Well, yeah. Just in case you needed me." He said sleepily and started to sit up. "Ready for bed?"

"You need to shower too." You said and grabbed his hand and pulled him up.