Chapter One: Still Friends?

This couldn't be happening.

One minute the wendigo was-

"GET DOWN!"

Wendigo almost didn't make it under cover, and wouldn't have if Cyril hadn't nearly tackled him completely.

One second everything was silent- the next-
The match hit the gasoline.

Intense heat poured into the air in waves, making the Wendigo's skin crawl with goosebumps, chills running down his spine.
Even though it was hot, the shivering down his spine couldn't be stopped given the flashbacks it got paired with.

Running through his childhood house in his nightgown.
Right after killing the man who murdered his parents.
House ablaze with flames.

"Kade are you okay?" Cyril whispered in Wendigo's ear.

Upon hearing his actual name, Kade realized he hadn't moved a muscle since the explosion, and he opened his eyes, only then realizing that Cyril had pulled him upright, and was shaking him gently to get him to talk again.

His first instinct was to flinch when he realized he was being touched, but given it was Cyril, Kade made an exception.

His second instinct was to pull his mask down so he could breathe better as Cyril sat back on his heels and Kade sat up properly.

Kade's hood was still mostly covering his face in case anyone were to pass by, but for the time being, Cyril and him were the only two left nearby.

"We need to get out of here before the cops show up. Can you stand or do I have to carry you again?" Cyril asked, his wide eyes scanning the area, though his mouth was twisted in a small confident smirk at the mention of carrying Kade.

Kade narrowed his pale green eyes at the reminder of what happened last time when Kade passed out due to blood loss, and Cyril refused to leave him behind.

"I can stand just fine." Kade muttered, blowing up at his messy black hair to get it off his forehead, which was barely long and thick and wavy enough to put into a ponytail. To prove his point, Kade pulled his mask back over his face, leaving only everything above his nose's bridge to be seen, though that was mostly covered by the thick hood he wore.
And then he pushed himself to his feet, given his best strength was his agility, it was no problem standing even with the platform boots on that he always wore to make himself taller.

"That's my Wendigo." Cyril grinned, taking off and scaling the nearest fire escape to get to the rooftops.

"Stop referring to me like I'm some little pet of yours dumbass." Kade hollered back, effortlessly following and running alongside the boy who was still at least a foot taller than Kade was, even if Kade was wearing the thickly soled shoes.

  "Then maybe grow a couple inches and I'll be able to look directly at you instead of way down there." Cyril snickered, nudging Kade in the shoulder before jumping to another rooftop, his feet clambering on the thatching of the roof.

The difference between their footfalls was astronomical, Cyril didn't seem to care if anyone heard him, given his size and muscle mass, it really wasn't a good idea for people to threaten him anyway, so that all only boosted his confidence and overall aura of trouble.

Whereas Kade, one would hardly notice he was there. He was like Cyril's little shadow. Never seen nor heard, but always there and ready to strike if Cyril needed him too.

He had earned the name Wendigo by simply existing the way he did.
Kade's existence was but a rumor or a legend around the gang world, nobody really saw Kade, though they knew he was there. A few people had described Kade's presence as, a tiny silhouette that once you see it, you know it could kill you in a heartbeat.