Chapter # 20 "Unreliable Friend"

Author's P.O.V

"One of them being related to that necklace I was wearing, right?" Issac pointed out the only thing Cynthia would never have thought to hear from someone this soon.

"What?" Cynthia was dumbfounded; she didn't know how else to react as she tried hard to keep a strict posture up.

"You once asked about this locket, right?" Issac said as he took his locket out of his shirt and showed it to Cynthia.

"Yeah"

"It's a secret, I'll tell you when I feel like we're friends," Isaac said as Cynthia raised both of her eyebrows, trying to understand whether it was an invitation for friendship or her one-way ticket to hell.

"So you're inviting me to be a part of your squad, also known as the "jerks-of-the-century"?" Cynthia pointed out and for the first time in what felt like an eon, she heard an innocent laugh coming from someone not-so-innocent. Unconsciously, she felt herself smiling over the guy who once frustrated the shit out of her.

"Not the squad, just my world, my friend" Issac spoke after he got off from his ride of innocent laugh and Cynthia nodded, accepting the hand of friendship she has no idea what will bring.

"Guess we can give it a try, then," Cynthia said holding her palm out for a handshake which Issac seemed to take pretty pleasantly.

"But that means you can't see my seductive side" Issac winked at Cynthia, going back to his usual self as Cynthia grabbed his hand tighter, and in contrast, gave a lighter smile.

"I'd rather die" Cynthia, with a genuine smile on her face, spoke and stood up, ready to leave.

"So, umm, a hangout later, maybe?" Issac hesitantly asked, fiddling with his fingers, seemingly hesitant to make a move towards his sworn enemy.

"Sure, text me the place," Cynthia said before making her departure and leaving a genuinely smiling Issac behind.

Cynthia walked inside and directly towards Suzanne so she can make her spill the beans before anything else. It was the start of the last period so Cynthia naturally found Suzanne standing by her locker and rummaging through her notebooks.

"Suzanne, I'm going to ask you a question and I'm going to need you to be very honest with me, okay?" Cynthia made sure she was clear before she jumped onto the topic. Suzanne had her eyebrows furrowed, wondering what was so important that couldn't wait till after class.

"Does Noah's dad know about all this?" Cynthia asked Suzanne and for a second saw her eyes flicker with an emotion she couldn't detect. Was it confusion? Was it panic? Or was it anger? She couldn't pinpoint it.

"What do you mean?" Suzanne tried to divert away from the topic and Cynthia knew about it, she shut the locker and forced Suzanne to look her in the eyes. Suzanne's eyes bugged out, clearly shocked by Cynthia's actions who was acting out of impulse.

"Tell me everything, tell me the truth, I can't help you if I don't know the-"

"I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO HELP ME, OKAY?" Suzanne screamed and rushed away, shrugging Cynthia's arms off, who was now left dumbfounded in the halls. She couldn't understand just what she did that made her so unreliable. As if the world was turning against her, not a single friend trusted her enough to tell her their secrets.

"Hey, are you okay?" Destiny's voice pushed Cynthia out of her trance and back to reality. Cynthia looked at Destiny and nodded, not wanting to be a baby and cry about being neglected.

"Yeah I'm okay, how are you?" Cynthia replied and walked with Destiny towards the class they were supposed to have together.

"Just good, I guess" Destiny's head was low, it was disappointment that was plastered over Destiny's face. Cynthia attempted to ask why she felt that way but Suzanne's rage earlier had caught her off-guard, blurring out her consciousness.

"Yeah, I can understand" Cynthia wanted to help her friend out but she knew, at the moment, she couldn't. It was then that she realized that Destiny had also hidden something from her and was about to ask her when, unfortunately, they reached their class. Cynthia shut her lips tight and went about the rest of the class.

~A little while later

"Hey, wanna go to the movies after the shift?" Destiny asked Cynthia once the class was over and Cynthia nodded, wanting to freshen up her mind.

"I can definitely use a movie night" Cynthia replied with a big smile and from the corner of her eyes saw a figure way too similar to Suzanne at her class's door and before she could confirm it was Suzanne, the figure disappeared into thin air.

"Well, then, let's meet at Amphidale at 10?" Destiny asked zipping up her bag and looking at Cynthia who was still noting down the last points from the board.

"Sure" Cynthia confirmed, making destiny smile and leave without another single word, happy to have been spending time with her new friend.

"Oh my god" Cynthia gasped when she realized she again forgot to ask Destiny about Noah but wondered whether she should ask or not. She shook her head and hurriedly packed her bags before leaving her class. Before she could step foot out of the class, she found her new friend right outside, Issac.

"Oh my god, is this some kind of ritual that you will be doing every day to become friends?" Cynthia replied in a cliché manner and shook her head with a disappointed look yet smiling lips.

"Maybe, maybe not" Issac stood in front of her and replied, not sure himself whether it was the right thing that he was trying out probably for the first time in his life.

"Step aside, Sir, I gotta catch someone" Cynthia ran away without speaking further and before Issac could speak another word, Cynthia ran away. Cynthia made it out the front door and directly to the parking lot only to stop in shock. Her eyes were bugged out, lips were parted and her hands trembled, dropping the bag she held so tightly over her shoulder.

There she saw one of the most disturbing images of no one but Destiny and Noah kissing.