IV

I draped a blanket over the small table in my room, and crawled underneath.

It gave me a moment of serenity to know that, for just a moment, I could be hidden away from the world.

With that in mind, I drift away with my thoughts, exhausted from being up so late.

________________________________

I wake without any terror filled dreams.

I just stared at the bottom of the table. It was oddly satisfying, having such a calm moment to relax.

After stretching my limbs, I crawl from underneath the table.

I haven't had a chance to glance in those double doors.

I push open the doors, and my mouth drops.

It was a whole room filled with clothes! Who could possibly need this many clothes? Extravagant dresses, simple dresses, and shoes galore.

"So you've found your closet." Christina smirks behind me.

"That's what it's called? A closet?" I murmur, mostly to myself, "Why would I need a room full of clothes?"

Christina laughs, "I don't know about you, but I love having lots of clothes. Anyway, it's time for breakfast, please come eat with us."

I shrug, "Only if you rebraid my hair."

"Okay, I'll get a brush."

After she's done, she yanks me out of the room and down to the dining quarter.

The room was loud with laughter and talking.

"Incase you have forgotton, Zeke is beside Four, Shauna beside Zeke, Marlene beside Shauna, Uriah by Marlene, Will is by Uriah."

I nodded.

Christina sat by Will, and I sat on her other side, beside Four.

If you couldn't imagine, the table was a large circle.

Christina passed me some odd shaped yellow speckled things.

"Scrambled eggs."

"Don't chickens lay eggs?" I question.

"Yeah."

"So you take them?"

"Wow, okay, umm eggs are good for you. Chickens lay lots of eggs. They can make more." She laughed, which offended me.

She should know that I have been severely iscolated, there was no purpose to make fun of me.

I frowned and glanced at my plate of 'eggs', suddenly feeling nauseous.

"Are you okay?" Four asks from my left.

"Fine, sir. May I be excused?"

"You barely ate, kitten."

"I ate a lot yesterday." I lie.

He gave me a disbelieving look, "Go ahead."

I bolt upstairs, locking my door.

Nobody seems to understand that when I did eat, it was stale bread, if I was lucky.

I never cooked any food, because that wasn't my job. I was to be used for people's pleasure and a punching bag, basically.

After sitting on the roof for a while, someone knocked on my door.

I open it, only to find Four.

"I just wanted to say that instead of staying on the roof, you could go outside."

"Outside, sir? Like outside, outside?"

He chuckled, "Yes, outside. I own acres of land here, and I know you like hiding inside, but you could go outside and hide, too."

"Really?" I asked quietly.

"Go, kitten." He stepped aside, allowing me to race down the steps.

I flung open the front door, relishing in the fresh cold air.

I bolted to the farthest tree I could see, scampering up its base and laying on its highest branch.

I dangerously stood up, tearing the tiny branches away so I could see the clouds.

For awhile, I relax, cuddling into my shawl.

The view was breathtaking and peaceful, lulling me to sleep.

_____________________________

"Tris?"

"Where are you?"

My eyes adjust to the darkness. I have been sleeping since noon, whoops.

I climb down the tree quietly.

"Kitten? It's late, we need to go in, besides, it's starting to snow."

"I'm sorry, sir. I fell asleep."

"Up there?"

I nod.

"In the summer, I could build you a tree house."

I shrug, not liking how casually our conversation was. What was he planning?

Lost in my thoughts, I trip, twisting my ankle.

Four knelt next to me, "Are you okay? Can you stand?"

I tried to stand up, only to fall back down.

"I'm going to carry you."

I quickly shook my head, crawling backwards.

"Listen to me, you cannot stand and it's snowing really hard, what choice do we have?"

Let me freeze and starve.

He reached for me but I flinched back.

"I can stand, sir."

I pushed myself off the ground, my ankle protesting.

He sighed, "What can I do to get you to trust me, kitten?"

I didn't answer, just hobbled back to the house.

I went straight to my bedroom, locking the door again.

I wrapped my ankle in gauze, knowing how to from previous 'accidents'.

After the house fell completely silent, I walked down to the kitchen.

Where I have started to eat meals these past days, my body has realized that food is a need now.

Reaching the kitchen, I had know idea what I was going to do, because I had no clue what type of food everything was.

"I knew you would come down for a late night snack, kitten. I was waiting for you."

"Okay sorry that sounded really creepy, but I've been waiting for about ten minutes to see if you would come down."

Why was he waiting?

"I see that you've wrapped your ankle. Now, what would you like to eat?"

I shrugged.

"How about I make macaroni and cheese?"

I glanced at him, cocking my head to the side, asking a silent question.

"It's pasta with cheese."

I know cheese, but pasta? I don't get it.

"Trust me you'll like it, kitten." He almost sounded gentle, causing an unfamiliar feeling to swoop over me.

Four walked over to that weird looking thing. I think it's called an oven? With cooking things on top.

I watched him cook, with an awed look.

If I asked, do you think he'd teach me? It almost looked fun.

After watching him for a while, he handed me a bowl.

"We can sit in the dining room."

When we sat down, I waited for him to start eating first.