XXVIII

"I have a surprise for you." Tobias whispers in my ear, waking me from my peacefully slumber.

I hum, burying my face in the cool crack of two pillows.

"Kitten, wakey wakey." He laughs, picking me up and cradling me.

"It's so bright." I yawn, curling up into his warm chest. He carries me down the stairs, and right by the front door stands my friend, "Tori!" I shout, now wide awake.

I spring from Tobias's arms straight into hers.

"Hey there. Four invited me to stay for a couple days, to celebrate your birthday."

"Birthday?" I squeak.

Four pulls me to his chest, nuzzling my neck, "Your birthday is tomorrow."

"Really?" I smile, bouncing on the balls of my feet. This is so exciting!

"I thought maybe we could have a small party here. Marlene's making chocolate cake."

"With strawberry ice-cream?"

He nods, and I can't help but to jump on him, peppering his face with kisses, "I'm so excited!"

He laughs, rubbing my back and turning to Tori, "You can stay, right?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." She laughs.

"Can we play games too?" I all but squeal.

"What kind of games?" His eyebrows furrow, making him look way older than what he actually is.

"Hide-and-seek, and slippery floor races!" This time I do squeal.

"I'm not sure about the races, but I'll do my best. I'm going to show Tori to her room. Why don't you go get dressed?"

________________________

"Hey, Tris!" Shauna calls from the kitchen, peeping her head from the wide door, "Marlene wants you to come try something."

I nod and follow her inside, all of these amazing smells surrounding me.

"So you know how you like strawberry ice-cream? I tried this new recipe for strawberry icing. Will you try it, please?" Marlene hands me a spoonful of pink stuff. It smells like strawberries.

I tentatively touch the tip of my tongue to the spoon, letting my taste buds explore the new flavor.

It tastes amazing. I flash her a wide, toothy grin before licking the whole spoon clean, "Are you putting it on my cake?"

She nods, "I'm putting it on half. Four likes chocolate icing better, and so does Shauna so we'll split it."

"It must be a big cake. Thanks for doing this." I love cake.

_____________________

I find Tobias in his office, writing something. I run over to him, crawling in his lap, "Thanks for everything."

"It's your first real birthday, kitten. It's a great opportunity for celebration." He kisses my cheek.

"I love you." I whisper, cuddling against his shoulder.

"I love you too."