XX

After laying lost in my thoughts, the sun finally rose, brightening the once scary forest.

It didn't matter where I was, I had to push myself forward.

There is no such thing as happiness, only false residues of it. I thought I was happy, believed that I was in love, but was I? No, I was simply living in fantasy. In a world that was too perfect to be true.

I was simply a little slave girl whose heart got to big for her head. I didn't deserve happiness, something that I have said a million times before. My dreams must have covered that.

I continue walking, with no such direction. I didn't have a specific destination, I was simply hoping to get far away.

My legs ached from running so much the previous day. I couldn't get myself to run anymore. I tried to walk briskly, but I started slowing down.

I kept moving, slow or not.

The woods became thinner, and I knew I had reached somewhere.

That's when I saw it, a small village, perched right on the edge of the woods. Laughter could be heard, something I longed for.

As I was walking through, a lady stopped me, "Haven't seen you around here before, you just passing through?"

"I-I'm not sure. I am actually a little lost. Can you tell me where I am?" I asked softly.

"You're in the village of Recherche, about four hours from that big town- I can't remember the name."

I may not be smart, but I wasn't entirely stupid, she was talking about the town that was close to Four.

"Oh," I murmured, "How far is the next town?"

"Three hours on horse, maybe a day on foot."

"Can you give me some directions please?"

"Sure sweetie, just follow that dirt road right there, should lead you right to it."

"Thank you." I say sincerely, chanting the farther the better in my head.

As I start walking, I come up with a mental plan. If I can get to the next town, I will find a place to rest for a few nights, and then, get to the next town. Hopefully, I will find a permanent place to stay there.

I pray that Four is smart enough to know I ran away, and not that I was kidnapped. If he does think the latter, he will send out missing posters and I am as good as dead.

Getting some of my energy back, I walk quickly, in fear of being found.

I walk all night until exhaustion comes sinking in. I need sleep.

As I look around, I realise there is nothing. No civilization, no trees, nothing to keep me hidden from the world.

Giving a sigh, I continue walking, basically falling asleep on my feet.

After a while, I can't take it anymore. I have to stop.

Looking around yet again, I find a lone little house to my left.

Do I take my chances?

My gut tells me yes, and Tob-

Forgetting that thought, I knock on the door, waiting patiently but yet impatiently.

A few minutes later, a middle-aged lady answers the door, "May I help you?"

I all but breakdown at her words, emotional drained, "I'm sorry for disturbing you so early but I need some place to stay. I needed to get away and-" I cut myself off, burying my face in my palms, letting deep sobs rack my fragile body.

"Why don't we get you warmed up?" She guides me into her little house, and lays me on a couch, "Get some rest. When you wake, we can talk." She murmurs, draping a blanket over me, making me fall in a much needed slumber.

(Don't you dare say one negative thing. ~Slushie)