VII

"Okay, so you hide basically anywhere, and I try to 'seek' or find you. Got it?"

I creased my eyebrows and looked up at him with confusion.

"Go ahead, ask me a question."

"H-How will you know where I, like umm hide, without giving my-" I trailed off, unsure on how to word it.

"Oh," He smiled excitedly, "I count."

I was once again, confused.

"Ask me the other question, kitten. Don't be shy." He grinned cheekily.

"What's count?"

His smile fell, and he tilted his head to the side. "You can't count?"

I shook my head.

"Well then, I will be absolutely delighted to teach you, but for now, go hide."

I gave him a half smile. Learning? Counting? Does it have to do with time? I've always just used the sky for time.

I ran out of the kitchen, looking for a place to hide as a game. Something children, perhaps, get to do.

I ran into the dining room quietly, curling under the table.

After sitting in silence for a long time, I heard approaching footsteps.

I tried to get my breathing under control, because I want to laugh. I actually wanted to laugh. I don't think I ever have.

The door to the room opened, letting in some light, but I remained hidden.

"Kitten?" He poked his head under the table, startling a squeak out of me.

He laughed and picked me up, twirling me around. I let a bubbly sound escape my lips. A giggle.

He stopped and looked at me, "What a beautiful sound that was."

I could feel the heat soar to my cheeks. What was happening?

"Again." I whispered softly.

He gave me a bright smile, lighting up his features, "You liked that?"

He picked me up and twirled me around again, and this time, I let all of my laughter loose.
_________________________

"Repeat after me: One." Four was laying on his stomach in the ballroom. It was such an odd position for such a serious man.

I was curled up across from him, leaning against the wall.

"One."

"Two." He said it slowly, allowing my brain to register the sounds of this number.

"Two."

It went on until we got to so called ten.

"Repeat all of them."

"One, two, three, five-" He cut me off.

"You forgot me."

I stared at him in confusion before I giggled, something I do a lot around him.

"Sorry. Okay, one, two.." And it went on until I got it down completely.

Four seemed like a silly name now that I know it was a number.

He showered me with praises, "You deserve some ice cream. C'mon."

Ice Cream? Ice and Cream. Milk, maybe?
"Frozen milk?" I mutter to myself.

"It's made from milk yes, but it's not entirely frozen milk. It's good."

He lead me to the kitchen and pulled out a large tub.

"Since you won't know the flavors, I will give you a scoop of each. There's pink, for strawberry, brown for chocolate, and yellowish for vanilla."

I nodded slowly, slightly puzzled.

He handed me a bowl and a spoon, "Eat up, but not too fast."

I tried the brown scoop first, it was okay.

Then the vanilla, which was better.

And then the pink, which was my favorite.

"Strawberry, huh?" He chuckled.

"Thank you."

"No more sirs?" He teased and I cracked a small smile.

"This trust thing, I think it's working out."

___________________________

I curl under my bed. My thoughts were filled with the past events.

I trust Four.

It's a scary thought, but he's earned it.

Especially because he has the patients to teach me. I was excluded from the world and I barely know a thing.

Yet, he's helping me come out of my shell, slowly.

Everyday there is a new food to try, a new number to write, a new word to be learned and more trust to be earned.

With my thoughts, I drift off.

__________________________

Four has taught me to draw. Even though he isn't good at it, he taught me the basics.

I just express my thoughts through pictures, and I am really enjoying it.

Four noticed my liking to it and gave me what they call a sketch book and a pencil.

I've never liked something so much.

Here I sit on a tall tree branch staring at the blank sheet.

My pencil glides on its own, and a portrait of Four appears.His eyes bright, seemingly mid-laugh. Why is he on my mind? It seems to be all I think about.

"Kitten?"

I jump, dropping my sketch book to the ground in the process.

I watch as Four picks it up and stares at the drawing with awe.

"You drew this?"

I nod shyly.

"C-Can I have it?"

I nod again.

He smiles before gesturing me to climb down.

As soon as I land, he pulls me in for a hug.