37

Three days later, Sirius, James, and Lorelei were sitting in the empty Gryffindor common room

"Why do you two not get along?" Sirius asked.

Giving James a look, Lorelei answered sternly. "He thought what happened to those Slytherin kids was funny. And he harassed Lily. And he's just an arrogant asshole who thinks rules don't apply to him."

After a pause, Sirius responded, "Okay. And why do you not get along with Lorelei, James?"

Staring intensely at Lorelei, James answered, matching her tone. "For starters, there were rumors that she drugged Lily with amortentia to get her to snog her last year. And then she hopped from person to person, including Remus, your brother, and now you."

"So you hate him because you think he's a bad person, and you hate her because you think she snogs too many people?" Sirius asked.

"Coming from you, that's hardly an insult Potter." Lorelei remarked dryly.

"Excuse me?" He asked, squinting his eyes.

Rolling her eyes, she answered, "Because you're such a puritan."

"I don't snog everyone in Hogwarts!"

"You're no virgin either!"

"Woah!" Sirius yelled, standing up with his hands out between them.

Lorelei scoffed and also stood, "Why am I here if all Potter is going to do is attack me for not being as much of a prude as he's presenting himself as?"

"I am not a prude!" James said, also standing.

Throwing her hands, Lorelei asked, "So are you a prude or are you not?"

James huffed, "I didn't mean to imply you're a whore, or anything vulgar. I just meant you don't present yourself as one for attachments or commitment. I was advising Sirius not to get involved with you because you haven't had a committed relationship since I have known you."

Fuming, Lorelei stepped closer to him. "And how long have you known me, Potter? Can you name any details about my life before last year?"

Flattening his lips, James flicked his eyes between Sirius and Lorelei. "Around a year, I believe."

Raising her eyebrows, Lorelei replied with sarcasm coating her words, "Oh my Godric, it's almost a lifetime you've known me." Dropping her brows, Lorelei took another step closer, "My fifth year I was in a committed relationship before I was cheated on." Trying to keep her emotions aside, she blazed on. "So forgive me if commitment wasn't really on my mind last year."

James opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

Looking away from James, Lorelei turned to Sirius, sharing a look with him, "You talk it through with your bodyguard and let me know what he says. In the meantime, I have things to do."