73

Raw magic was difficult to control

Lorelei had a sliver of a suspicion, difficult to ignore but small, that wands were a forced crutch to keep witches and wizards from harnessing raw magic with ease.

But as a gift to herself, Lorelei took the morning of her birthday to apparate across Europe looking for a proper place to practice. It only took her four hours before she found herself on top of a mountain. There was snow covering everything within sight, but a quick whip of her wand gave her a crater to stand on solid ground. With walls of snow around her, and the whole being on a mountain part, she doubted any muggles would stumble across her. But still she warded the area before tucking away her wand.

It hadn't occurred to her when she was a kid to wonder how and why she was different from muggles. Especially because she was born into magic, it just hadn't occured to her to think about her ability to summon magic.

But nowadays on the brink of a war, or worse in the early stages of a war, the thought wouldn't shake.

Magic prickled against her skin constantly. It was like a needy animal that wanted to hold her attention. It craved being used.

Lorelei wasn't sure if it was just her who felt raw magic call her like a Siren. But her fingers prickled as she tried extending her senses to feel the magic in the air.

At first, she began with the basics. Things she was able to do the minute a wand had been placed in her hand before her first year at Hogwarts.

Although, it was very different from using magic with a wand. Lumos, for example, lit the tip of her wand to give light. Trying the spell using just her fingers to conduct the magic made a small ball of light hover above her palm.

Levitating objects while wandless was a bit trickier. She started with a small rock the size of her fingernail. The most difficult part was concentrating the magic for more then a minute. While using a wand it conducted the magic easily, but manually pulling the magic from around her and directing it simultaneously took endurance she hadn't built yet.

Using her wand to conjure a clock, Lorelei timed how long she could lift the small rock.

One minute and thirty four seconds was the longest she could get after two hours of repeated attempts.

Giving up on levitating for the day, Lorelei tried using Evanesco to make the rock disappear. It took a few tried to get the hand movement closer to that of a wand movement, but the charm was simple enough that she was able to make the rock vanish.

Smiling in triumph, Lorelei looked up at the sky. She'd woken up early that day to practice before the girls woke up and pounced on her. Seeing as the sky was blindingly bright and the snow around the clearing she'd made was melting down, she'd concluded she should pause her experimenting for later.