80

Lorelei spent then weeks between Pandora and Xenophilius's wedding and Halloween night planning a party

She meant what she'd told Dumbledore. Far scarier then Voldemort was the idea of his cult causing such fear that they forgot to live the lives they were fighting for.

James volunteered to help cast protective spells to surround the muggle building they'd claimed for the evening, and Lorelei couldn't have been more grateful. As an Auror, James had a vast knowledge of protection spells that she didn't. Sirius and Frank also volunteered, as well as a handful of others, and between the twelve of them no one - muggle or otherwise - would be any the wiser to activity within the building.

And after weeks of preparation, the night itself was complete magic. Lorelei had a special interest in muggle decorations, and she spent an ungodly amount in muggle department stores with Melissa, Liz, and Lily.

Jack o' lanterns, pumpkins, scarecrows, ghosts, witches, and black cats were a large theme throughout. Melissa enjoyed telling the back story on how such items became associated with Halloween, and Lorelei enjoyed learning about muggles misguided assumptions about magic.

And of course, everyone invited was given specific directions on how to dress. Lorelei bought a witch costume, something she found hysterical, Liz used a sheet to be a ghost, and Melissa and Lily dressed up as two of the characters from a muggle cartoon called Scooby Doo.

After her weeks of crash coursing muggle costumes, seeing what the invited witches and wizards decided to show up in was the most fun part of the evening, and almost always the girls could pick out when the attendee was a muggleborn - as they had the most authentic costumes.

But some went all out, using magic to create impossibly perfect costumes that would send any muggle into a trance. Frank and Alice came as clowns, which didn't go over well with Liz who was completely terrified of them. Sirius and Remus came as vampires together, Peter dressed as a scarecrow, and James went all out to match Lorelei - getting a tacky wizard costume that honestly wasn't dissimilar to wizarding robes.

After all of the preparation, Lorelei had to take several shots of firewhisky before the party even began in an effort to calm down. But slowly, the house they'd rented for the evening began to fill with people, and the reactions to the muggle Halloween music was worth every second of planning.

Peter, James, Remus, and Sirius didn't arrive until half past ten, and even after they arrived Lorelei didn't actually talk to any of them until around eleven.

The energy filling every corner of the house made imagining life outside it difficult. As she got deeper in drinks, the world outside of the party got blurred and impossibly distant. Terrible singing, yelling, and never ending chatter, all of it made Lorelei nostalgic for Hogwarts parties. She'd forgotten how personal a large party could feel.

As the energy in the building grew lighter as the clock crept closer to midnight, Lorelei drained her fifth glass of firewhisky. She'd spent most of the evening floating between groups, mostly she watched Lily and Sirius competing in a karaoke contest. But many of her friends had individually dragged her into the thick of the crowd to dance, and as the hours wore on, she felt lighter and more elated then she had in years.