A Silver of Hope

Tine was washing the dishes while Brett had gone to his office. He was moving slowly because the wounds were still fresh from yesterday's whipping. There was a lot to clean after the party and Tine felt like he would faint any moment. It was half past three when Brett came back home with Paul and Gulf. Paul and Brett were in heated discussion, Tine didn't dare ask him what was wrong for the fear of him exploding in anger. Gulf was sitting in the kitchen as he prepared tea and snacks. Tine found his behavior quite unusual. He was quite and restless. He kept stealing glances at Tine.

"What do you want?" Tine asked.

"Nothing."

"Then stop staring at me."

Gulf spoke after a pause, "Do you think we can escape from here?"

Tine rolled his eyes, "You're going on about that again."

"I'm serious. I think we can make it this time."

"What makes you think that?"

Gulf fished inside his pocket and took out Mew's business card, "This fell from Mew's pocket."

"So?"

"We can call him when we get out of-"

"And he'll decide to be knight in shining armor and save us?"

"Mew and Sarawat, both of them could-"

"Both of them could what? Let's be real, Gulf."

"Why wouldn't they save us? We'll tell them we were kidnapped and sold."

"And they'll feel sorry for us and decide to help us? They are Brett's friends in case you've forgotten."

"Yeah, but they don't know we are slaves. If they knew what sort of people Brett and Paul are-"

"They would decide to be heroes? Don't be delusional. No one would willingly get in this mess. Let's assume they aren't like our masters still that doesn't mean they'll help us. At best they'll report it to police and where had that gotten us in past? Brett and Paul have enough money and influence to get out of stuff like that easily.

And we are grown up men, do you think people would want to believe that we are being held captive? Domestic violence, dating abuse, rape, people don't want to think men can be victims of such crimes too."

"But it's the truth."

"Who cares about truth? It's not about what's true, it's what people want to believe in." Tine said through gritted teeth.

"Mew and Wat seemed rich too. I'm sure they can help us. We should atleast try." Gulf pleaded.

Tine scoffed, "Easy for you to say."

"Stop acting like you're the only one suffering. I'm a slave too."

"How many times have you been raped, Gulf? Huh? Once? Twice? Thrice?" Tine mocked him.

That silenced Gulf.

"This is a terrible idea." Tine said. "Forget about asking for help, how will even get out of here? We've no money or credit cards. We don't even have a phone. How will even contact each other? I have never set a foot out of this mansion. Main gate is guarded all the time. Even if I manage to get out, there's nothing for miles. No houses or shops. It's hopeless."

"It's not. We could call Mew somehow-"

"And then what? What makes you think he'll believe us after we drugged them at the party? Even if he does, why would anyone risk anything to save complete strangers?"

"So we should just stay here as slaves all our life? "

"Or you could kill yourself if it's too much." Tine said sarcastically.

Gulf said angrily, "What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you act like I did something wrong to you?"

"There's nothing wrong with me. If you want to escape, do it on your own. Don't involve me."

"Fine. Even if I get out of here, I wouldn't help you."

"Good. Now leave me alone." Tine went back to cooking dinner.

Gulf was adamant on escaping. He refused to live his life as a slave. It had been two weeks since had been plotting his escape and finally he got his hands on Paul's phone. He dialed the number given on Mew's business card. On second ring, a lady answered the phone.

"Hello, you've reached Stellar Publishing house. How may I help you?"

"Um..... Can I talk to Mew?"

"May I know your name? "

"Gulf."

"What's the reason for this call?"

"I'll tell Mew."

"Please wait on the line."

After a while Mew answered, "Hello."

"Mew?"

"Yes. Is this Gulf?"

"Y-Yeah."

"Why did you call?"

"Save me." Gulf said desperately.

"What?"

"I need your help."

"And why would I help you?"

For the first time Gulf realized how utterly futile it all seemed. The chances of Mew helping him were slim to begin with.

"Gulf? What's wrong?"

"Paul is not my boyfriend."

"Then?"

"He bought me."

"He did what?" Mew asked surprised.

"Bought me. I was kidnapped and sold."

"You mean human trafficking?"

"Yes. Please help me."

"I...... Are you serious?"

"YES. Why would I joke about something like that?" Gulf said exasperatedly.

"But you drugged me-"

"Brett made me do that."

"So he is also involved in this?"

"Yes. He owns Tine."

"You both are slaves?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"So when are you coming?" Gulf asked hopefully.

"W-What do you mean?"

"Aren't you coming to save me?"

"Gulf, it's not that easy. I mean, if what are you saying is true-"

"You don't believe me?"

"It's not that."

"Then what?"

"I can't just get involved like that-"

"Tine was right." Gulf whispered miserably.

"Huh?"

"He said no one would help us."

"Gulf-"

"It was stupid of me to even hope that. Don't call back on this number. It's Paul's. He would kill me if he knew I had called anyone. And I mean literally." And with that said Gulf cut the call and cleared the call history. He placed the phone where it was and went back to his work.

How could he be this naive? Of course, no one was going to help. It was stupid to have hoped for something he would never get. It made living here worse.