Nightmare

"Tine, can I talk to you?" Penelope asked him after the breakfast.

"Yes."

"How are you doing?"

Tine shrugged, "Okay, I guess."

"Is my son taking good care of you?"

"Of course, he has done so much. I'm really grateful and sorry."

She was surprised, "Why are you sorry?"

"Because of me he got in so much trouble and he has to hide here-"

"Tine, you should learn to take things just as they are given to you. If someone does something for you then a 'thank you' is enough. Don't apologize for someone's kindness. This situation isn't your fault."

Tine looked at Penelope. She was staring at him with a strange look in her eyes and it too him few seconds to recognize it was affection. That's how it looks like when someone adores you. He never had anyone look at him like that. Wat looks at him with love and care but the way Penelope looks at him, it's similar to how a mother would look at her child and that is enough to make him break down crying.

"Oh dear, it must've been terrifying." She hugs him tightly and Tine hugs her back, "Tine, have you considered you should be insanely proud of yourselves because this world can be a cruel, cruel place, but you're still here and that means everything to the people who love you? Have you considered that each day you get up and fight even when it feels impossible, and for that you're incredibly strong? Have you considered that I love you and I'm proud of you."

He couldn't stop sobbing, "Thank you. Thank you so much for being so kind."

Next few days were full of love and laughter. Penelope taught Tine and Gulf lots of things to bake. Wat's father, Derek told them countless stories of when Wat and Mew were younger and stupid. Wat had never seen Tine smile and laugh so much. He looked like a kid when he laughed like that. Brett had still not been caught and that was worrying Wat. One evening, Wat and Derek went out to buy the groceries and other items, their housekeeper didn't come that day. Mew had to go to meet the publisher for work related issue. Gulf was down with cold and was resting in the room while Penelope was teaching Tine about some game on computer.

Suddenly they heard the sound of shattering of glass. Alarmed both of them picked up their phones to call police when Brett appeared in front of them. Tine felt blood drain from his face. Penelope grabbed his arm and they ran towards the room on side and locked it from inside. In their haste they dropped their phones in the living room.

"Tine, baby get out. Let's not drag this out." Brett said sweetly.

"Tine, don't test my patience. Do you want me to hurt everyone around you? Should I do that?"

"Get out of the house. Everyone would be back soon." Penelope said firmly.

"Shut up b****. I'm not talking to you. Pet, don't get on my nerves. If you come with me willingly, I won't punish you for running away."

"Never." Tine said in a quiet voice.

"Did you learn to talk back, huh? Do I've to discipline you all over again? I don't mind. It'll be fun for me."

"You won't get away with it. You're cornered. Police will get you eventually so it would be better to just surrender."

Brett sighed, "And here I was trying to be nice. Do you think these people can protect you from me? Keep dreaming. They'll abandon you eventually when they realize you're a broken toy."

"I'm not a t-toy."

"You're more useless than that. Your own family sold you. Do you expect strangers to take care of you? Are you that naive? Haven't I taught you anything about the world? I had been so kind to you, giving you place to stay, food to eat and this is how you repay me?"

"You're nothing short of monster. Your words won't get to Tine anymore. He has people who love and care for him." Penelope said.

"You're getting on my nerves. Should I kill her, Tine? Would you like that?"

"Tine, what's all the noise?" Gulf said groggily as he came downstairs.

Tine and Penelope looked at each other terrified, "Gulf don't come down. Lock your room."

But it was too late. Brett had already spotted Gulf and ran after him. He grabbed him by his collar and dragged him down to the living room. He kept screaming and thrashing wildly making Brett knock him out.

"Tine, are you going to leave him like this? If you don't come out right now, I'll kill him."

"Don't." Tine screamed.

"I'll cut him to pieces. You can pick up them later."

"Don't please. Let him go."

"Should I cut off his fingers first? Or should I start with his face?" Brett kicked Gulf in stomach, making him groan.

Tine quickly opened the door and ran towards Gulf. He had lost consciousness because of blow to his head. Time cradled him in his arms.

"Good boy." Brett smiled wickedly. "Now get up and come to me."

"Tine, don't."

Tine got up and walked to Brett's side. Brett smacked him on face. Tine almost fell down due to sudden force. Brett grabbed him by his hairs and made him kneel while he kept screaming and crying.

"You shouldn't have run away in the first place. It was a mistake, a grave one." He punched Tine twice, enjoying the look on pain and despair in his eyes.

"Don't hurt him." Penelope screamed.

"You're seriously annoying me." Brett turned towards her but Tine pulled him back.

"Is my dog trying to bite me? Huh?" Brett snapped. He slashed the knife across Tine's face, making him let out a bloodcurdling scream.

Penelope ran towards them and Brett stabbed her twice as she tried to shield Tine. Tine couldn't make out anything with blood and tears obscuring his vision. Wat and Derek arrived at that moment and were flabbergasted to see such a sight. Wat overpowered Brett immediately and kept punching him. Derek called police and ambulance. He tried to stop Wat so that he wouldn't end up killing Brett. Wat had lost all sense of reason. Police arrested Brett and while Tine, Penelope and Gulf were taken to the hospital.