Fragile Peace

Tine couldn't sleep for the entire night. He kept tossing and turning, reluctant to close his eyes in fear when he'll open them he'll be back to Brett's place. It all seemed like a nightmare and beautiful dream at the same time. He still couldn't get over the fact that he could shower as he wished. He spent really long time in the bathroom. Just soaking in the bath tub seemed like a luxury. He came down to see Wat preparing breakfast while Mew went to wake up Gulf. Awkward was the only way to explain the atmosphere right now. Tine knew he should be thanking these people but words were hard to get out. He still wasn't sure if this all was for better.

He sat down and Wat served everyone. Tine ate as little as possible, a habit ingrained in him for years with Brett. Brett considered it a waste feeding Tine. He only gave him enough to keep him alive. Wat was looking at Tine in worry. He hadn't been eating properly. No way that little amount was enough to fill him up. But everytime Wat asked him to eat a little more, Tine denied. On the other hand, Gulf stuffed his mouth with food like if he wasn't fast enough it would all disappear.

"Gulf, slow down. You'll get sick if you'll eat like that." Mew said.

"Okay." But he continued eating fastly.

"Gulf."

Gulf looked at Mew who was glaring at him. It made him nervous. He looked at others and saw everyone watching him. They must be judging him. Tine had done that always but Mew and Wat must be doing it too. Do they think he's too fat? Are they thinking about throwing him out? Is he eating too much? These delicious foods must be expensive, he's wasting their money. He should stop eating. Paul always said Gulf ate like a pig and looked like one too. It's just that he hadn't touched so much food in years, he wanted to eat as much as he could before it would be taken away from him.

Gulf stopped eating, "Sorry." He turned towards Mew, "Just one more bite. I promise, I'll stop eating after that. Just one more bite, please."

Mew gently held Gulf's hand, "Bun, do you think I'm scolding you for eating?"

Gulf nodded, "I know I'm fat and look like a pig. I shouldn't eat so much but it's so tasty. I have never eaten something this good for so long. I'm sorry."

Mew wanted to hit himself for scaring the poor thing, "I'm just worried you'll get indigestion if you eat so fast. I just want you to slow down. You can take your time eating. It's all for you."

"You're not angry?"

"No."

"I can eat?"

"Yes."

Gulf smiled and went back to eating, now he took his time chewing the food properly.

"And Gulf, don't ever call yourself pig. You're beautiful and I would be angry if you'll say otherwise."

Tine watched Mew looking at Gulf with soft eyes, how much of that was fake he didn't know but looked like Gulf was buying it all. How stupid.

"Tine, eat a little more. You haven't eaten much since yesterday." Wat said.

"It's enough."

"Ea-"

"Can you stop this?"

"What?"

"Pretending to care. It's nauseating." Tine said harshly.

"Tine, I'm not pretending. I do care."

Tine stood up, took his dishes to the sink and went back to his room. He couldn't stand being in same room as them. They all could pretend to be happy and carefree but he didn't want to be the part of their charade. Wat followed Tine to his room and knocked politely.

"What?"

"We need to talk?"

"About?"

"Tine, why are you angry?"

"Because I don't want to be here."

"Why?"

"How many times must I tell you?"

"As many as times it'll take me to make you understand I'll protect you."

"Why would you do that? Let's assume for a moment you people decided to save us because of goodness of your heart but why did you guys run away with us? You could have handed us over to police so why are you with us right now?"

"Because police won't help you."

"But it's not your job to help us."

"We are doing this because we care."

"That's what I want to know. Why do you care?"

"Because I like you."

Tine scoffed at that, "Are you kidding me? You like me? Why? You hardly know me."

"It's not like we are complete strangers."

"We are worst than strangers. I'm someone's boyfriend."

"You aren't his boyfriend. You're his victim."

"So? You didn't know that before. Are you telling me you fell for me when you realized I'm single?" Tine mocked him. "Or was it when you thought I was taken?"

"Tine, don't twist it all. I liked you as a person-"

Tine shouted, "But that's the irony, I was never the person I'm whenever I was with you. I was always playing a part my master wanted. So I don't understand whom did you fall for?"

"..... "

"Is it my face? Did you fall for my looks?"

"I.... I'm not sure."

Tine rolled his eyes, "You're not sure? So you just decided to be a hero out of blue?"

"That's not the case."

"You did this all just to get laid?"

Wat was shocked, "Why would you think that?"

"What else am I supposed to think? You messed everythin-"

"What did I mess? Tell me. I saved you so why the hell are you so angry with me?"

Tine gritted his teeth, "Don't shout at me."

"I don't want to but you are being so angry with me. I need to know why."

"Because this will all end."

"What do you mean?"

"Can you protect me forever? You can't. When you'll realize I'm not worth all this trouble, you'll step back. Then what? I'll be back to where I was." Tine screamed.

"I'm not going to send you back there."

"Are you sure? How long can we run away? How long can you protect us?"

"As long as it takes."

"Those are empty words."

"How do you know that? I got you out of there. I'll keep you safe too."

"I don't believe you."

"It's fine, I'll just show you." Wat promised.

"So show me." Tine conceded.