Fault In Our Stars

Tine was frozen in his place, Wat wasn't doing any better. It felt like someone had just punctured their bubble of happiness. Yet Wat felt guilty for thinking like that. It wasn't fair, neither to him nor to his father. He hadn't gotten around to telling him about his relationship with Tine, heck he hadn't even told him that they had met again. He ke or putting it off to later, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week or a week after, it never felt like it was the right time. A part of him was already aware of the chaos such admission would ensue and he selfishly wanted to put it off for as long as he could. He had just got Tine back and he wasn't ready to lose him again. Through the haze of fear and nervousness, Wat reckoned the hurt and anger in his father's eyes. Justifiably so but still unfair.

Tine hadn't moved a muscle, he realized he couldn't, not unless he wanted to crumble to the floor. His brain was lagging, deliberately trying not to come up with the conclusion to this ill fated reunion. Maybe if he turned a blind eye to it all, it may all just disappear and he wouldn't have to deal with the consequences. He should be angry with Wat, or at himself, it wasn't like he hadn't thought about Wat's father even once. It was only matter of time before they had to deal with the elephant in the room but he had wanted to pretend a little longer that everything was fine, that theirs was a simple love story like everyone else, one with happily ever after. But it was all falling apart now, the happy time ticking off, reality finally sinking in, he wasn't sure he was ready to deal with any of this.

Mew decided to break the silence, "Dad, how come-"

"I was in the town for some meeting and decided to pay you guys a visit. I'm glad I did." Derek said. (Wat's father)

"Dad, I....." Wat was at complete loss of words. What was the right answer in this situation?

"So this is what you've been upto behind my back. Now I get why you hardly have time to come home." Some bitterness creeped in Derek's tone.

"Dad, it's not like that."

"Then what is it like? You're dating this boy again." The disgust was quite apparent in his voice and Tine shrank back at such unveiled loathing.

"Dad please. I... I love Tine-"

"Don't. Don't you dare say that. Have you already forgotten what had happened?"

Mew interjected, "We haven't. We never will but it wasn't anyone's fault except Brett. Tine and Gulf did nothing wrong."

"Not their fault? Are you for real? If it wasn't for them, Penelope would be alive right now."

Wat sighed, "But it's not like they wanted this to happen. They never meant any harm."

"What good are intentions when someone is dead? They didn't kill her by their own hands but it was all because of them. That fact will remain."

"Tine didn't even want to be saved. I did that. I wanted to save him from that monster, from that hell so in a way it's all my fault, isn't it?"

Derek shook his head, "We did warn you, didn't we? To not mess with someone dangerous. But you were so blind in love you couldn't care."

"Dad please, let's not blame each other. It won't change anything. We all are hurting." Mew pleaded.

Derek stared resolutely at Tine, "Are you happy? Is this what you wanted? After everything you had guts to date my son? After you took his mother away?"

Tine felt like he had been punched, he took a step back at the sheer force of words, "N-No. I'm s-sorry." He didn't know what else to say.

Gulf stared at his best friend's mortified face, "Why are you being like this? Tine didn't want any of this to happen. Wat courted him. Tine was against it at first. Tine never wanted any of this, not all those years ago and definitely not now. He's a victim as well. He had suffered things you can't even imagine yet you're here blaming him for something a psychopath did?"

Tine took a deep breath, bracing himself, "I know it must be really hard for you. I don't even know how anyone can cope with death of a loved one. I don't know how that feels, you see, I don't have any family. That has always been an elusive concept for me. Penelope was the sweetest, kindest and warmest person I have ever met. I couldn't believe someone could be this kind. I was astonished to see that there are people who just are good and sweet without any ulterior motive. I'm glad I got to know her, for all the cruel people I had met in my life, I consider it all even when I met her.

I am sorry that she had to die. I agree with you there, had it not been for us, she would still be alive. Had Wat and Mew never rescued us, she wouldn't be dead. The only reason Brett killed her was because of us. I can understand why you blame us or the hatred you harbor. We have blamed ourselves all this time, hating ourselves for being happy when we were the reason for a broken family. Smiling felt like shameless act after everything.

At first I didn't want to date or even talk with Wat. I felt immense guilt whenever I looked at him. It was...." Tine closed his eyes to not end up crying, "It was hard, for me, for us. It hurt to know the one person who showed such kindness to us ended up dead because of it. You think I don't hate myself for that? I do. If only I could go back in time, I would stay with Brett just to avoid all this. I wouldn't mind living with that monster if you could have Penelope back. But I can't do anything. I can't bring her back and I can't make it better for you or Wat."

Wat took a step towards him, "Tine."

"I know it must be hard having your son date me. It must feel cruel. I.....I really don't know what I can do to make it better. I would beg for forgiveness if it would help."

"Leave my son."

"I will walk out of Wat's life when he wants me to. I'll break up with him if that's what he wants. It's our relationship and the decision to end it will be ours as well. I don't want you to be angry with Wat or Mew. You can direct all that anger towards me because I deserve it. I'm dating your son because I love him, more than I thought I ever could, because I had never thought I was actually capable of loving anyone after everything. Yet I fell for him. I couldn't help it. I thought of million reasons to not date him, I conjured hundred of scenarios where everything could go wrong yet I couldn't stop myself. The only way I'll stop loving him is when he falls out of love with me."

"That will never happen." Wat said.

"Dad let's think about it. Please give us a chance. Don't let your anger ruin everything." Mew implored.

Derek shook his head in disappointment, "I can't believe you both will do this. I'm leaving and I don't think we have anything else to talk about. Ever."