04.

04.

'Robert, I think it's a very nice idea but I don't know if I can come.' Answered Chris. 'Oh come on Chris. We used to have parties like this every week. Think of it as an Avengers reunion.' Said Robert. 'I'll think about it.' Promised Chris. 'Scarlett's coming too.' Added Robert quickly. 'I'll think about it. If I want to come I have to arrange a plane ticket too.'

'I'll arrange a plane ticket for you. See you Saturday! Robert hung up. 'Robert! Chris sighed and he threw his phone down on the couch. He had told him to think about it! What was he going to do now? He looked at Dodger who was sleeping in his basket.

The doorbell rang. Chris walked to the door and he opened it. "Scarlett, what are you doing here? Asked Chris in surprise when he saw his best friend. 'Have you been reading the papers? There's suddenly super much attention on the case surrounding Maeve and Jane.' Told Scarlett.

'Scar, I know it's sweetly meant but there's little chance of them being found so I don't delve too much into it. I don't want to get my hopes up.' Said Chris. 'I know that. As long as you have a glimmer of hope it's okay.' She said.

'Thank you.' Said Chris. 'For what? Asked Scarlett in surprise. 'That you asked on my behalf to pay attention again. I sometimes forget how much you do for me.' Said Chris. 'Ah Chris. I do everything for you. You are my best friend. You're always so sweet to Rose and Cosmo. I just want you to find your kids and if you can't at least get answers.'

'Come here.' Chris spread his arms and Scarlett gave him a hug. 'Would you like something to drink? Chris let go of Scarlett. 'Yeah, I'd love a cup of coffee.' Scarlett replied, 'Coming right up.' Chris let Scarlett in and he closed the front door.

'Where did you leave the kids?' Chris asked as they walked together to the kitchen. 'Rose is with her father and Colin is away with Cosmo for the day.' Told Scarlett, 'So you have the house to yourself.' Chris concluded. Scarlett nodded. 'I'm bored to death.' She confessed. 'And so you come here and get bored.' Chris chuckled. 'If you don't mind.' Scarlett sat down at the kitchen table.

'Are you going to Robert's Avengers party?' Questioningly, she looked at Chris. 'I don't know yet but Downey has probably already arranged a plane ticket. Are you going? Chris asked. He picked up two cups and he held them under the coffee maker.

'I'll go. It's been a very long time since we were last together.' Said Scarlett, 'You have a point there.' Answered Chris. 'Colin is looking after Rose and Cosmo. If you want I can ask him to look after Dodger too.' Suggested Scarlett.

'That's nice of you but I don't even know if I'm going yet.' Replied Chris. 'What's stopping you?' Curious, Scarlett looked at him. 'Nothing.' The coffee was ready and Chris handed Scarlett a cup. Then he sat down opposite her at the kitchen table.

'What is it Chris? Inquiringly, Scarlett looked at him. She knew Chris well enough to know that something was bothering him. 'Why don't you want to go to the party?' She asked him. There was no response. 'Sebastian, Anthony, Mark and Jeremy will go.' Scarlett tried to persuade him. 'Is Lizzie going to be there?' Asked Chris. 'No idea. I haven't spoken to Lizzie in a while.' Replied Scarlett.

Suddenly she knew what was going on. Since their break-up, Chris and Lizzie hadn't spoken or seen each other. If Lizzie came, this was their first meeting after three years. She could imagine that was very exciting and that's why Chris was hesitant to go.

"Don't you want to because of Lizzie? Scarlett asked softly. Chris stared at the table. "Chris? Scarlett was sure that all sorts of memories were shooting through Chris's head now and she felt sorry for him. 'Chris?" she gently put her hand on his. 'Hey what? Chris was startled.

'Are you excited to see Lizzie again?' Questioningly she looked at him. 'A little. After our break-up I never saw her again. What if she starts talking to me?'

'Then you'll talk back. I think you're worrying a lot more than you need to. It'll be fine.' Scarlett tried to reassure him. 'I broke her heart, Scar.' Mumbled Chris softly. 'Heart broken? I thought you had made the decision to break up together.'

'We had but she was devastated. She lived with Ashley for two months.' Told Chris. 'She broke your heart too. You were broken up about it too.' Scarlett remarked.

Chris thought back to the time after his break-up with Lizzie. He had lost it completely. First he lost his kids and then his best friend. The pain he had then he never wanted to feel again. He had been devastated by it.

'We're three years down the road. You'll have to see Lizzie again sometime, and besides, we don't even know if she's coming.' Scarlett tried to persuade him. 'You're right about that.' Answered Chris nodding. 'Come on Chris. I know you're dying to go to the party. Come with me.' Begged Scarlett. Chris laughed. 'Okay. I'll go with you.' He agreed.