07.

07.

It was Monday night when suddenly Chris's phone went off. Sleepily, Chris opened his eyes and he looked at the alarm clock. It was 2:30 in the night. What lunatic was calling him again? Chris quickly grabbed his phone from the nightstand and he answered.

"It's Chris. ' He said in a raspy voice. 'Good night Mr. Evans, I'm sorry to call you so late but you are speaking with Detective Lewis from the LA Police Department.' Sounded the voice. Chris immediately sat up straight in his bed. 'No problem.' Replied Chris immediately.

'I would like to ask your cooperation in a DNA test.' Began Detective Lewis. 'A DNA test? Did you find Jane and Maeve?' Chris's heart began to beat faster. 'There's a chance the girls have been found but to know for sure we need to ask you to cooperate.'

'Of course I'll cooperate.' Said Chris immediately. 'I'll send you some documents with information shortly. The rest will follow naturally.' Explained the detective. 'Okay, absolutely fine.' Replied Chris. He was wide awake. 'Then I'm going to hang up now and call Mrs. Olsen. You'll be hearing from us.' Said Detective Lewis. 'Wait, I need to know one more thing.' Called Chris. 'And that is?'

'Are they still alive? He felt a lump come into his throat. He had just reacted so enthusiastically but he realized now that it could also backfire. Maybe they were no longer alive. 'If these girls are actually your daughters they are still alive.' Said Detective Lewis. Chris heaved a sigh of relief. 'Thank you.'

'You're welcome. If there is anything you can always call me.' Said Detective Lewis. 'Thank you very much.' Chris said goodbye to the detective and he hung up. With full disbelief he squeezed his arm. It wasn't a dream. It was real!

Over the past four years, an awful lot of hints had come in. Some were useful but most were a waste of time. It seemed that Scarlett's call had caused new hints to come in after all, and maybe they had even been found! Chris didn't want to be too happy because what if they weren't his daughters? But deep down he was already celebrating. He was so happy and relieved.

He turned on the nightlight next to his bed and Chris got up. Dodger who had been watching in his basket all this time now also got up and followed him. Chris walked to his study and he started up his laptop. Impatiently he walked around the room. His laptop had an update right now.

After five minutes, the update was finally complete. Quickly Chris logged in and he checked his mail. The mail contained a lot of information and it took him a while to read it all. Tomorrow morning he could go to the store to get a test to be sent to the detective so they could compare DNA.

'Oh Dodger. Maybe after four years you'll see your sisters again.' Chris petted the dog's head. It still felt surreal what had just happened. Ideally, Chris wanted to call everyone. His family, Scarlett, Colin, Robert, Jeremy. Everyone who had sympathized with him he wanted to call but it seemed more convenient to wait a little longer. Soon it wouldn't be Jane and Maeve and it would be a big disappointment for everyone.

Chris thought about Lizzie. How would she react to the news? Probably by now she had also had the call from Detective Lewis. Chris grabbed his phone and he looked into his camera roll. All kinds of pictures of him and Lizzie were passing by. He smiled when he saw the picture they had taken in Italy. They had gone to Venice together: the city of love.

They loved the city. They had browsed every store together and bought souvenirs for their family. In one store they also sold locks. Together they had bought a lock and later that day they had hung the lock on the bridge.

Chris remembers how happy Lizzie was that week. She was so happy. Chris looked at the picture and he sighed. He missed her. She hadn't just been his girlfriend. She had also been his best friend for five years.

He was glad he had seen her at Robert's party this weekend. He only then realized how much he had missed her. She was so shy. When he saw she wanted to go home he couldn't do anything but stop her. He didn't want her to go home so early so Chris was glad he stopped her because they ended up chatting all evening.

Chris closed his laptop and turned off his phone as well. It was now 3:30 in the night and Chris could still use some sleep. Chris walked to his bedroom and he got into bed. Dodger obediently lay down in his basket and immediately the dog closed his eyes.

Chris smiled. "Sleep tight Dodger. He turned off the nightlight and he crawled under the covers. He was incredibly tired. Chris turned over and soon he fell into a deep sleep.