17.

17.

"Lizzie, your phone is going off." Scarlett gently shook Lizzie's arm. "Hey, what?" Lizzie looked up. She had fallen asleep. 'Where are the children?' She immediately sat up in her chair. 'In the living room, but you've already been called three times by someone named Robbie.' Scarlett said. 'Oh. How long have I been asleep?' Lizzie asked. "I think about twenty minutes." Scarlett replied looking at the clock.

Lizzie stared at her phone. "Shouldn't you call back?" Scarlett asked. 'No.' Lizzie replied. She ran her hand through her hair. "Is he your friend?" Scarlett looked at the young woman curiously. 'Yes. No. It's complicated.' Lizzie replied. 'Do you want to talk about it?'

'Don't know. So much has happened in the last few days.' Lizzie sighed. "When was the last time you talked to Robbie?" Scarlett asked. "A day before I heard Jane and Maeve were found." Lizzie replied. 'So he had to hear everything through television.' Scarlett concluded. Lizzie nodded.

'Lizzie, I understand you're not calling him, but it's been over a week. He had to follow everything through the news. Don't you think he needs a call from you?' Lizzie looked around the kitchen thoughtfully. She knew Scarlett was right but she didn't want to call him yet. "He deserves to hear your voice." Found Scarlett. "But I don't want to make everything more complicated than it is."

'By putting it off you only make things more complicated for yourself. I'm sure Robbie understands the situation and needs to give you time. It's no small feat what you've been through these past few days. Have a chat with him.' Scarlett encouraged her.

'You're right.' Lizzie admitted. 'I am always right. So, get up and call him back. I'll keep an eye on the children.' Scarlett said. Lizzie wanted to get up but at that moment Chris walked into the kitchen with groceries. 'I'm back!' He said cheerfully. 'Hey. Were you successful with the groceries?' Lizzie asked. Chris nodded. "I have medicine here for Maeve." He took a bag from his shopping bag containing a box of medicine. 'Top.'

There was a silence. "What were you just talking about?" Chris looked at the women curiously. 'Nothing special.' Lizzie replied quickly before Scarlett could say anything. Chris looked from Lizzie to Scarlett. "The children are playing nicely." Scarlett changed the subject. 'Yes, I saw it. I'm glad Jane and Maeve get along so well with Rose.' Chris said.

Suddenly there was a scream. Chris, Lizzie and Scarlett immediately rush to the living room. 'What is going on?' Lizzie asked. They found Jane on the table and Maeve and Rose standing next to it with Dodger. "She's afraid of Dodger." Rose said. Lizzie sighed with relief. At least she thought something bad had happened.

'Come here.' Chris walked over to the girl and lifted her off the table. 'Dodger doesn't do anything. He just wanted to see what you guys were doing." Chris said. He put Jane down on the ground and got down on his knees. Dodger walked towards them and Jane stepped back in fear.

"Chris, let her be. She doesn't want it.' Lizzie said. Chris looked at the girl in disappointment. He could see the fear in her eyes. He wanted so badly to take that fear away from her, but he couldn't. She has been walking a wide berth around Dodger for six days.

'Why don't you go play in the garden? The weather is nice.' Lizzie tried to focus her attention elsewhere. 'Yes, good idea! Mom, can Cosmo come too?' Rose looked at her brother who Scarlett was holding in her hands. Scarlett shook her head. 'Cosmo is still too small to play, sweetheart. Go play with Maeve and Jane.'

'That's right. Tomorrow is Cosmo's birthday.' Chris suddenly remembered. 'Beats. Then the little man will be one year old already.' Scarlett caressed his cheek affectionately. "He really looks a lot like you." Lizzie said. 'Do you think? Many people think he looks like Colin.'

"Mommy, can we go outside now?" Rose asked. Scarlett looked at her daughter. "Rose, don't be so impatient." Lizzie stood up and opened the back door. The girls ran outside. 'Jane is very afraid of Dodger. How are you going to solve that?' Scarlett asked.

'No idea. We can't get rid of Dodger. He was my first baby.' Chris sighed. He looked out the window. The girls were jumping on the trampoline. "But you can't get rid of Jane either." Scarlett noted.

"Fatherhood isn't for me." Chris sighed. "Hey, you shouldn't say that." Lizzie said. 'Why not? I really am a lousy father. I don't even know my own children. "You've only known them six days." Helped Scarlett remember him. 'Yes, but if I had paid attention I could have known them for four years. They mistake me for a stranger.' Chris grumbled.

'It takes time and they really like you. Last night I heard you read. You were so kind to them." Lizzie told me. Chris smiled weakly. 'And you are willing to help them with everything. You have registered them with a child psychologist, haven't you? It won't be long before they can get there.' Scarlett said. Chris nodded slowly. Lizzie and Scarlett were right.

'You just have to get used to each other. This is new for you, but also for Maeve, Jane and Dodger. The most important thing is that you listen to your children and give them love and attention. As long as you do that, not much can go wrong. Just look at this happy baby." Scarlett tickled Cosmo and the boy started laughing. Chris had a smile on his face. 'Thanks for the pep talk. I could use that.'