13.

13.

The day had finally arrived. After four years, one month and eighteen days, Chris and Lizzie went to see their children again. Lizzie had slept really badly last night. She had been awake most of the night, worrying about the reunion and her future.

Lizzie sat sleepily at the kitchen table. In front of her was a bowl of cereal. 'Good morning.' Chris walked into the kitchen and yawned. 'Did not sleep well?' Lizzie asked. Chris nodded. "I haven't slept a wink." He confessed. 'Me neither.' Lizzie admitted.

'Shall we just drive to the airport?' Chris suggested. "Shouldn't you have breakfast first?" Lizzie asked. "I'm not hungry." Chris replied. "You need to eat something." Found Lizzie. "But I'm not hungry." Chris said.

'I get it. I'm not actually hungry either, but it's going to be a long day today. You have to eat something.' Lizzie said. Chris grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl. 'Well done!' Lizzie complimented him. 'Shall we go?' Chris asked again.

Lizzie looked at the clock and nodded. "I'm just going to get changed quickly and then we can leave." She said. 'Get changed? You look really nice like this.' Chris said. Lizzie turned red. She had put on a simple floral dress. "I'm going to get changed and you eat your banana." Lizzie stood up and walked out of the kitchen.

Chris stayed behind in the kitchen with Dodger. He put his banana on the table and decided to give Dodger new food. After putting new kibble in the food bowl, he filled Dodger's water bowl. He was so curious what Maeve and Jane would think of the dog.

'We can go!' Lizzie walked into the kitchen. 'Top. See you later Dodger." Chris petted the dog. "Chris, you didn't eat your banana." Lizzie grabbed the banana from the table. 'I'm not hungry. I'll eat it soon.' Chris said. Lizzie gave him a typical mother look. "I'll eat it now." Chris said quickly. He took the banana from Lizzie's hands and removed the peel.

Chris and Lizzie left for the airport. The ride seemed to last forever, but after a while they finally arrived at the airport parking lot. They were smuggled in through a special entrance and put in a room.

They went over everything again with the police officers and after that conversation it was time to bring in the children. Detective Lewis left the room to get the children.

Chris nervously squeezed Lizzie's hand. "I'm so nervous." Lizzie played with her fingers and looked around the room. 'Me, too.' Chris sighed.

The door opened. Immediately Lizzie and Chris looked up. walked into the room with two toddlers. "Look, this is Jane and this is Maeve." Detective Lewis pointed out who Jane was and then he pointed to Maeve.

Jane and Maeve, these are your parents. I'll leave you alone for a moment. Then you can get to know each other in peace.' He smiled at Chris and Lizzie and left the room. He closed the door behind him. Chris and Lizzie looked at each other briefly and then looked at the twins.

They both looked scared. Lizzie was immediately struck by how much they looked like her. The twins were identical so it made sense that they looked so much alike. Jane did have a rounder head and Maeve had bigger eyes. The two girls looked anxiously at Chris and Lizzie.

"Hi, I'm your mommy, Lizzie." Lizzie got down on her knees in front of the two girls. Chris followed Lizzie's example. "I'm Maeve and that's Jane." Maeve said. Lizzie smiled. 'Nice to meet you. Have you had a long journey?' She looked at the two girls questioningly. "Yes, we were on a plane and we went very high into the sky." Maeve said. "Wow that's cool!" Chris replied. "Did you like it too?" Chris looked at Jane questioningly. The girl nodded shyly.

"Shall we go home?" You must be tired from the long journey.' Lizzie thought better of it as there was silence. Jane and Maeve nodded. "I'm just going to tell Detective Lewis we're leaving." Chris said. He got up and walked out of the office. Lizzie stayed with the twins and they waited patiently for Chris to return.

After a few minutes the door opened again and Chris entered. 'There are a lot of paparazzi.' He said. 'You are kidding me.' Lizzie looked at Chris in shock. 'The entire airport is full. There are guards at the door and they're going to try to escort us out.' Chris told. "How are we going to take them?" Lizzie asked. She looked at the twins. 'Wearing and trying to make sure their face isn't visible.' Chris said. Lizzie nodded. 'There is no other option.'

Lizzie now turned her attention to the children. 'Listen, we're going to the car now, but the airport is very busy. I want you to do exactly what we say. Is that clear?' She squatted down. Jane and Maeve nodded. They had no idea what was going on. 'Nice. Then we'll go home.' She smiled weakly.

Chris put on his sunglasses and then he picked Jane up. He pressed her against him. Lizzie did the same to Maeve. Detective Lewis walked into the room. 'Are you ready to go? There are four guards ready to walk with you.'

'Yes, we can go. Is the hall still so full?' Chris looked at the detective questioningly. 'There are even photographers outside. I've never seen it so busy here.' Detective Lewis replied. Chris looked at Lizzie who had Maeve in her arms. 'Then there is nothing to do but keep going.'

"Elizabeth, don't you want sunglasses?" Detective Lewis looked at the young woman questioningly. "I didn't bring any sunglasses." Lizzie replied. "You can borrow this." He took a pair of sunglasses from his pocket. 'Thank you.' She quickly put on the sunglasses. 'We can go.'

They left the room and ended up in a huge crowd of people. They heard the clicking of photographers everywhere and people shouting at them from all sides. Everyone tried to take the perfect photo. Chris hugged Jane protectively. All he could think about was that he had to protect his daughters from these people. He couldn't lose them again.