32.

32.

'I just don't get it. Who works at Christmas again?' Lizzie sobbed. Scarlett handed her a tissue. 'Thank you.' Lizzie took the handkerchief and blew her nose. "Sorry you have to listen to all my whining." She apologized. 'It does not matter. I understand that you are sad and you are allowed to be sad too.' Scarlett replied.

'The children miss him so much. It's not fair.' Lizzie said. 'And you? Don't you miss him?' Scarlett asked. Lizzie sighed. 'I miss him very much, but it's about the children. Chris can tell them himself that he's not coming because I'm not going to do that. I don't want to break their hearts.'

'I understand that, but you can't protect Maeve and not Jane from everything. They have the right to the truth.' Scarlett said. Lizzie nodded. She was happy with Scarlett's wise advice. Parenthood was still so new to her and it was nice that she could talk about it with Scarlett.

'I told Chris to tell him himself. Do you think that's smart?' Lizzie looked at Scarlett questioningly. 'Do you want to know my honest opinion?' Lizzie nodded. "I think you should call Chris and talk it out with him." Lizzie frowned. "There's nothing to talk about."

'Lizzie, I understand that your emotions are high, but Chris can't help it. I know Chris and I know how much he loves you, Maeve, Jane and Dodger. He will do everything he can to be home for Christmas.' Scarlett spoke to her. "So you think I'm unfairly angry?"

"Yes, to Chris." Scarlett nodded. Lizzie said nothing and stared into space. Sometimes she could be so jealous of Scarlett. Scarlett was a super good mother and she had everything well organized. Why was everything so easy for her?

"Why don't you come and celebrate Christmas with me, Colin and the kids?" Scarlett suggested. 'No, that's not necessary.' Lizzie declined the offer. She was far too modest to say yes. Colin and Scarlett had probably already made plans and she didn't want to throw a spanner in the works.

"Oh come on Lizzie. Rose, Maeve and Jane get along great and the more people the merrier. You are always welcome here.' Scarlett said. 'Thank you. I will think about it.'

'I'll just go home. I still have a lot to do and in an hour I have to pick up the kids from school again.' Lizzie said. 'If you need help with anything, just let me know.' Scarlett stood up. 'I will do. Thanks for having me come over."

'No problem. You and Dodger are always welcome here." Scarlett looked at the dog sleeping on the floor. "Why don't you and Colin get a dog?" Lizzie wondered. Scarlett smiled. She loved dogs. 'I would like to have a dog, but I really don't have time for it at the moment. I have my work, the children and of course Colin.'

'Maybe in the future.' Lizzie suggested. 'Who knows. Dodger also came into Chris's path out of nowhere.' Scarlett said. Lizzie chuckled. 'Suddenly I had to share my boyfriend with a dog.' She looked at Dodger. He was such a sweet dog and he was so kind to the children. She was glad that Jane was no longer so afraid of the dog. They had really become friends.

'Are you coming with me Dodger? It's time to go home.' Lizzie grabbed his belt. Dodger stood up and he trudged towards Lizzie. 'Good dog!' Lizzie clipped the leash to his collar.

'Don't forget to call Chris? I'm sure he'll appreciate that.' Scarlett said. Lizzie nodded. She wasn't going to call Chris, but Scarlett didn't need to know that. She said goodbye and left in the car for home.

*

It was later in the day. Maeve and Jane were home from school and they were sitting on the couch watching a movie. Lizzie had grabbed two blankets and placed them over the girls. They were cold from playing outside. They had played outside for a large part of the day because of the snow and now they were completely exhausted from all the snow fun.

Lizzie was in the kitchen cooking dinner. "Mommy, what are we going to eat?" Jane walked into the kitchen. 'Spaghetti. Go call your sister because dinner is almost ready.' Lizzie said. 'Ooh I love basketti.' Jane said enthusiastically. 'Spaghetti.' Lizzie corrected her. 'I said that. Basketti.' Jane walked out of the kitchen and Lizzie watched her, laughing.

Soon the three of them were sitting at the table enjoying the spaghetti that Lizzie had cooked. The children enthusiastically told stories about what they had experienced today at school and Lizzie listened attentively. Maeve and Jane had not been in class together for a while now, so they were now a lot less dependent on each other. It also made for more stories during dinner and Lizzie loved listening to her daughters.

"Mom, can we call Dad later?" Maeve asked. "I think daddy is already asleep." Lizzie said. 'Please. I miss daddy.' Maeve looked at her mother with puppy eyes. Lizzie lowered her eyes knowing Chris had to go tell the girls the bad news. 'Please. Then we'll go to bed without complaining.' Maeve promised her. Lizzie looked at Jane and she nodded too.

'Windscreen. We're going to call Dad soon.' Lizzie agreed. 'Yay!' Jane and Maeve cheered happily. "I don't know if Dad will answer because it's already late in England." Lizzie warned the children. Maeve took a bite of her spaghetti. "We can always try."