29.

29.

With mixed feelings, Chris zipped his suitcase closed. Today he left for London to shoot his new film Ghosted. On the one hand, he was really looking forward to it, but on the other hand, he found it difficult to leave Lizzie, Maeve and Jane behind.

"Hey, are you okay with packing?" Lizzie stood in the bedroom doorway. 'Yes.' Chris lifted the suitcase off the bed and set it down on the floor. "Are you sure I shouldn't stay?" He looked at Lizzie worriedly. "Chris, I know how much you wanted this role. It'll be fine. I can do this.'

"I know you can, but I'm just afraid to leave them behind." What if something bad happens?' Chris asked. 'Do not worry. We have cameras around the house and I have plenty of help.' Lizzie tried to reassure him. "So you don't mind me being six weeks long?" Chris asked. 'I'm just happy for you that you got this role. You're going to do great.' Lizzie said. Chris had a big smile on his face. "Thanks Liz." Chris gave her a kiss.

'Ooh!' Chris and Lizzie quickly retreated and they saw Maeve and Jane standing in the doorway. They were wearing the exact same dress and both their hair was down. They looked mischievously at Chris and Lizzie. 'You rascals.' Chris ran to the girls and picked them up. The twins burst out laughing and Chris threw the girls down on his bed and started tickling them.

"Chris, do you have everything? The taxi will come any moment.' Lizzie looked at the alarm clock, which said it was almost nine o'clock. Chris stopped tickling and looked at his two suitcases on the floor. 'I think so.' He replied.

He looked at Maeve and Jane sitting on the bed. "Then I think it's time to say goodbye." He got a lump in his throat. The girls knew he was leaving for a few weeks, but it didn't really seem to dawn on them yet. Chris felt like they didn't quite understand.

"Are you going to be nice to mommy?" Chris knelt in front of the girls. 'Yes.' Maeve replied. "Good for you Eve." Chris stroked the girl's cheek. "Are you going to be nice too, Jane?" Chris asked. He looked at the girl but the toddler did not respond. 'Jane?'

"You can't leave." Jane started to cry. Chris looked at Lizzie. He didn't expect the toddler to be so bothered about leaving. Chris sat down on the bed and pulled Jane onto his lap. He motioned for Lizzie to join him. Lizzie took Maeve on her lap and the four of them sat on the bed.

"Listen, Dad has to go away for work for a few weeks and you're staying with Mom and Dodger. We've discussed this, right?' Chris gave Jane a kiss on the head. "When are you coming back?" Maeve asked. "I'll be home before Christmas." Chris promised. 'What is Christmas?' Jane looked at her father questioningly. 'Christmas is a festival that is celebrated every year. We buy a tree and decorate it and on Christmas morning there are presents under the tree." Chris whispered the last thing.

'I'm going to miss you.' Jane threw her arms around Chris. "Me too, but we're going to call every day and before you know it, daddy will be home again." Chris said. "I hope so, otherwise you'll miss the presents under the Christmas tree." Jane replied. They all laughed.

'I really have to go. My taxi will be there any moment.' Chris sat Jane down next to him and he stood up. "Are you being careful on the road?" Lizzie stood up and with Maeve in her arms she walked towards Chris. 'Always. Do not worry.'

Chris said goodbye to everyone and then he left by taxi for the airport. Lizzie stayed behind with Maeve, Jane and Dodger and the girls watched their father gloomily. Lizzie felt sorry for them. She knew Chris was coming back but it seemed like Maeve and Jane didn't know that.

"Shall we bake cookies?" Lizzie stood next to the girls at the window. 'Yes!' Maeve shouted enthusiastically. 'Come on, let's go to the kitchen. I bought all the ingredients we need yesterday.' Lizzie said. Maeve immediately ran to the kitchen but Jane didn't move.

"Jeez, are you coming too?" Lizzie looked at her youngest daughter with concern. In recent months, Chris and Jane's bond had improved tremendously and she found it heartbreaking to see her daughter so sad. "Maybe we can call Dad tonight."

'Is that possible?' Jane looked up. 'It kind of depends on what time Dad's plane lands, but I promise we'll call Dad as soon as we can. Will you come and help bake cookies now? I could use an extra helper.' Lizzie tried to do everything she could to get the girl to come along and with a lot of patience she finally succeeded.

It was a pleasant morning. Lizzie, Maeve and Jane had the most fun together in the kitchen and Dodger lay watching the trio from his basket. Flour flew all over the kitchen, Maeve and Jane's dresses were covered in flour and Lizzie laughed as she took some pictures of the twins so she could send them to Chris.

Lizzie happily put the cookies in the oven and two hours later they came out fresh. Maeve and Jane loved it and couldn't wait for the cookies to cool. When the cookies had cooled, they were each given a cookie and they ate it proudly.

 When the cookies had cooled, they were each given a cookie and they ate it proudly