Chapter 2

"Dad's going to be working late tonight sweetie so I'll see you tomorrow promise," he told me, taking his bag over is back and walking out. His fancy work shoes clacking on the floor in sync. 

I waddled over to TV and fidgeted with the remote until I ended up on Space Heroes, then helping myself up onto the couch, juice box in hand that I also got myself. I watched for a while, until mom walked in.

"Where is Dad?" she asked, looking at me confusingly. She seemed upset. 

"He left, why? Is everything okay?"

"That man is going to be the death of me," Mom murmured, turning on the light over the kitchen and dumping her stuff on one of the stools. 

"What's wrong? How was work?" I asked, pausing my show and taking my empty juice with me. 

"Fine, how was your day at school sweetie?"

"Good! I passed my spelling test!" I exclaimed, hoping it would cheer her up.

"Nice," my mom sighed, I heard her phone vibrate. She turned away, leaning on the counter and leaning her head on the screen. I listened in, taking my place on the stool that wasn't cluttered with her things. "The case? What about it?" she paused. "Not this again. I already told you I'm working on it," she stopped again as the person on the other end said something un audible. "I don't really care if they don't believe me, I'm working on a document about it."

I shot her a look, slumping a bit. She took the phone away from her face and held her hand over it.

"Can you make yourself dinner tonight?" she asked.

I nodded, as she took her things and crept up the stairs. Going over to the sink and opening the cabinet under it, I took out the step stool. I wasn't tall enough to reach the middle shelf in the pantry yet. 

. . .

I didn't remember what even happened at first. I didn't know what time it was although I slept exceptionally well. I sat up, yawned, and opened the blind next to my bed to help actually wake up. Then it hit me, everything did.

I walked home with a mutant turtle then befriended the mutant turtle, then gave him my number. The worst part was that I wasn't even ashamed. The first thing I did once I got out of bed was message him, feeling bad I forgot to the previous night. I typed up a storm, first apologizing for not saying something sooner, then saying whatever felt reasonable for a guy I met last night.

Hey, it's me (Y/N)! :(Y/N)

I'm sorry for not texting sooner, I was tired :(Y/N)

How are you? :(Y/N)

Captain Leo: Oh, hey! I was waiting for you to text

Captain Leo: I'm good, just doing the usual

Captain Leo: My brothers got the new issue of Space Heroes for me

The new 'Next Gen' series? :(Y/N)

Captain Leo: Yep, just came out

OMG, I need to get it :(Y/N)

Captain Leo: Wanna borrow mine?

Captain Leo: Just keep it mint 😉

Of course, thank you! :(Y/N)

Captain Leo: I'll come by and drop it off right now

Sounds good :(Y/N)

I thought it would take at least an hour before he got here, so I slipped on some casual clothes, put my hair up, and went to make breakfast before getting actually ready. My body was slightly sore in some areas from the fight, which reminded me of other things. The fight, specifically the Purple Dragons, now had a reason to be mad at me. I was sixteen and on my own, if my dad ever found out, he'd ship me off to another country. Sure, 'overthinking it, however I knew he'd be upset either way. Mom would've been upset.