Chapter 18

After what felt like forever, I was finally on my own on "the surface" as the turtles like to call it. With my first official training session going well, which consisted of the same exercise over and over, Splinter said I should be able to go above on my own. No one babysitting me or following me around, I was free to be alone and do what was due. 

I went shopping, even though most would think I would go and see my house. I wasn't ready for that. I got new clothing, hygiene products, some groceries, and an assortment of treats for the turtles. Gummy worms for Mikey, a new headset for Donnie, and a pair of weights for Raph. Now, I was being indecisive, not knowing what to get for my boyfriend. He was the hard one, even though I knew him all too well. It was the thought of it not being perfect that distracted me. 

If I texted and asked if he had a copy of a Space Heroes comic he'd catch on, he was too good at reading into things for me to even say a word as a whole. I had to wing it, based on what I knew. I thought about what he kept in his room, what he might appreciate. I had already gotten him and Donnie heated blankets as well while they were on sale, since they were cold blooded, so that was off the table. 

I tried to think of his hobbies, and it came to me. I learned recently Leo wrote in an assortment of journals all throughout his life. Writing in a mix of Kanji and Japanese, as he told me the other day, so that no one else could fully decrypt it but his master. He was the only one out of his brothers that was fluent in both, taking the time to learn it with Splinter at a young age. Whenever he spoke to me in Japanese, it was attractive to say the least. Just thinking about it put me on my heels. 

I walked past the gates of China Town, and over to the shop I was headed in. This was the first time I had been here since Leo and I met, and it looked different. It was quieter, most likely due to the Purple Dragons. 

I opened the door, a bell ringing up above, the old lady at the cashier waving to me. It was a bookstore, but it offered writing tools as well. I went to the back where all the journals were racked up on a shelf, looking at all of them. I selected one with a blue, leather, hard backing, the paper inside textured and stained to feel like a relic. It was perfect for him. 

Then, I bought him a set of calligraphy brushes of all sizes. They were hard to find, but I knew he would love to write with one of the smaller ones. The lady happily checked the items out, and I left satisfied. I had a lot to carry, but I wanted to text Leo on a status update, so, I went in the nearby alley and put them down. 

He usually texted me status updates himself, so when I hadn't gotten anything all morning, I was confused. 

Hey, heading home soon! You ok? : (Y/N)

I shot him a text before slumping onto the wall. It was exhausting carrying so much, but a good workout at least. I sighed, looking up where you could see the sky. The sound of cars rushing by and people, stuff I hadn't witnessed on my own in a while. It was nice, but part of me also missed the turtles. I wanted to be with Leo, shopping with him. 

I stayed in the alley for too long, to the point where I started to get that icky feeling like I was being watched. I looked around, nothing was weird about it, it was just my paranoia. Still, I checked, like anyone should. 

"I swear I'm going to turn my back for a minute, and something is going to grab at me," I sighed, talking to myself. It became a habit, with my parents not being home often. 

I picked up my bags again, struggling getting them all across my arms.  noticed one on the end of my arm, breaking at the seams. It was one of those cheap plastic ones that wore easily. Donnie's gift was in it, if it fell, the headphones might break.