Chapter 25

It was gentle; the sun setting over the apartment, the rays beaming over it. My parents holding both my hands at my sides as we watched. The breeze came and went, coursing through my hair softly. I let the small rush of air brush through it, enjoying the cooling temperature. It smelled like flowers, like Spring. All of us, just looking at the place we called home for years. I smiled bright, childishly so.

My vision flickered, and I felt heat hit my chest. Unfamiliar, and abnormal for this moment.

Again.

A sharp noise shocked through my ears, and I winced.

It was horror; fire blazing over the apartment, the smoke rolling over it. Alone with no hand to hold as I watched. The hot air came and went, coursing through my hair abruptly. I let the small rush of air suffocate me, hating the uncomfortable temperature. It smelled like burnt trash, like mud. By myself, just looking at the place I called home for years. I cried stinging tears, childishly so.

I ran into the house unwilled, my feet moving on their own. I coughed a hot mass, trying to move through the smokey scene. There she sat, tied to the kitchen counter island like the helpless one she was. The door about to crumple her. It was me; I was tied to the kitchen counter island like the helpless one I am. The door about to crumple me.

I was her, crying out and choking on air. Once again, the smell of gasoline overtook the place, the fire alarms broken and taken apart. It was orange and red all around me, slowly creeping closer, spreading like a virus. 

No one was going to save me. Not my parents, not myself.

"You excited for school?" April asked, sitting at the kitchen bar while sipping on a soda. Meanwhile, I was cooking beef on the stove. Tonight was tacos since we planned a movie night. For once, no patrol or Shredder talk. It was supposed to relax everyone, but I wasn't sure it'd do the trick.

"Sort of, eleventh is kind of a big year," I sighed. 

"Yep, SAT's and all," April sighed. "At least Leo's birthday is coming up, we can celebrate." 

"Wait what?" I turned around in shock. 

"It's in a few days, remember?" she said.

"He never told me," I trailed off. 

"Leo doesn't like celebrating his birthday, that's why" April laughed. "He's just too stubborn."

"You think so?"

"I know so," she pointed. "You'll still plan something though."

"You know me too well," I agreed, adding seasoning to the meat. As I stirred, I felt my back ache, placing a hand on it and whining in pain. 

"Did Leo work you today or something?" April asked, laughing. 

"Nope, today was Master Splinter," I said. "I'm just getting into better shape, conditioning."

"Still hurts like hell, take some pain meds," she suggested. 

"I could kill for a massage," we both laughed at my comment. 

It wasn't long before I was scooping meat into little taco shells and putting out toppings. Casey had come along the way as well, joining April and I before the rest came from training. They had been meditating all afternoon on Master Splinters request, and only now had been released. 

"Tacos! My favorite," Mikey sung, sprinkling a bit of everything on one and swallowing it whole. 

We all passed around the toppings, trying to pick and choose.