Chapter 3

It was a little past ten, and I decided to go out late of all things. I needed to get some stuff health products and put it off to the last minute, then realizing I couldn't wait any longer, I bit the bullet. It was unlike me to procrastinate but I didn't prioritize it until I realized I ran out too late.

I walked instead of biking for once, strolling over to Bleecker, since it was the nearest general store available. Merty's was open all hours of the day, but it was too dangerous to be out around that area too late. It was about a ten-minute walk, better than what another area might've been. 

I thought of Leo as I walked, wondered if he was out right now. He said he was always around at night, I just thought about whether this counted, or if he was nearby. I didn't exactly know what he was doing, but he seemed to have a reason behind anything. Like the Katanas he carried around, unusual, but what he told sounded truthful. I just hoped he wasn't a good liar. 

I continued to pace down the long stream on concrete on the side of the road. Looking around at the buildings I had passed too many times to count. There was a hand full of people, although in this area most didn't try and come out after sunset. Gangs, rumors of ninjas spotted in alleys, a handful of things kept them inside. The rumors were true, but I hadn't said a word about it. Something told me I shouldn't, I didn't know what. 

I looked up at the rooftops, the non-present stars above. Due to the number of lights in New York, star gazing didn't exist to people who lived in the city. But something else then caught my eye.

A figure, shadow even, moving from rooftop to rooftop. I saw it stop and look at me. It looked directly at me. No one just walked on the rooftops, it was dangerous, if anything you'd get too scared thinking you might fall. 

I couldn't see anything but its piercing white eyes, they were menacing, I stopped in my tracks and backed up. With one quick blink, it was gone, and I had a sudden flashback to Leo's disappearance a while ago. His piercing white eyes, they were intimidating, meant to make you pay attention, they were serious. 

There was a forceful thumb onto the concrete to the side of me, I looked trying to see what had fallen. A strong arm went around my mouth and waist before I could make another movement. I breathed into its hand, smelling a harsh wave of sweat. It backed me up into the alley next to us, I tried to see who was moving me.

"Shh, it's okay (Y/N)." 

I realized what was going on and all my muscles relax.

He picked me up bridal style and took a leap up onto the fire escape of the building next to us, climbing up onto the roof. He let go and spun me around, keeping his hands on my shoulder, his eyes still white. His grip was gentle but firm.

"Leo! You scared the heck out of me, I am so sorry," I apologized. 

"What are you doing? It's late, it's not safe," he asked. 

"I needed to get some things at Merty's I thought it was fine-"

"No, you'll get hurt," he cut me off. "The Purple Dragons will want to get even with you, you cannot be out this late without me by your side. Do you understand?" he reprimanded me like I was a little kid.

"Yes but-yes, I understand," I frowned, scared to say no, I was embarrassed. "Are you okay?"

He looked at me more closely, taken aback. "What?" 

"You seem stressed, your tone-specifically," I explained.

"I'm fine, my brothers are the issue," he huffed. 

"Hey, take a deep breath and sit down," I rushed over to him, ushering him over to the ledge of the rooftop where we could sit. He took a deep breath, before speaking again. "What happened?"

"I just got into an argument with my brothers again, I'm just trying to protect them, I just want to help them, and all they do is backfire on what I say. I am trying so hard to do good enough and they treat me like this."

"I know, and I'm sure they see that, part of being siblings is having those disagreements. I know you mean well Leo, I'm proud of you for trying your best."

He stayed still, his eyes darkened, a softer gentle tone laced his words.

"You're telling the truth." He pointed out my words like he had already determined it, like it was known. 

"Of course, I am," I blinked. "You're a hard worker and a nice guy, I'm proud of you for how much effort you put into your family."

"Thank you (Y/N)," he appreciated, still looking flustered like earlier. 

"Anytime Captain, what else is on your mind?" I joked.

"You," he said, once again, like he had pointed out something obvious. 

"Me? What about me?" heat rose to my cheeks uncontrollably.

"Just you."

"I see, because I'm so interesting," I nervously joked again.

"You are, one of a kind."

"And so are you," a smile poked at my lips. 

"No, I have three brothers just like me, you on the other hand, I've never met someone as special."

"I thought you haven't met many humans," I pointed out, now curious.

"Sure, but I've seen a lot of people, heard a lot of people, and they don't register like you have," he explained. "They are bland, self-centered, pained, your aura is like something I've never seen."

"I'm sure they have a reason," I defended, I was being put on a pedestal. 

"You are so considerate towards other; may I ask why?"

"I don't know, I just am, I've been wired this way, even though my parents are described as the opposite," my answer was bland, I didn't want to open up, but I didn't want to lie. "What time is it?" I then asked, taking out my phone as he did the same. It was way past eleven now, and the bags under my eyes slowly forming suggested it was time to go. 

"Let me take you home," Leo offered.

I got up, thinking we'd climb down, but before I took a step, he scooped me up. His embrace was comforting, a shield, I found myself shutting my eyes without a second thought. Every few moments I'd catch myself and wake up again, frowning at the idea of sleeping in his arms. 

"Go to sleep," he ushered, laughing at my weak state. 

I didn't question it, even though I should have.

I felt the wind course through my hair and yet I still didn't question it until I found myself tucked into my bed. I looked over with winced eyes, the clock read three am, and I groaned to myself. My window was cracked just slightly, that same wind blowing in, providing a refreshing feeling to the room. I was in my pajamas, which added another layer of shock to the event. My clothes were neatly folded on my desk, and my phone was charging alongside it. The worst part was, I still didn't regret a thing about it all.