Chapter 23

Disclaimer: This chapter includes lines and characters from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 2012 episode "City at War" (Season 4). 

It had been a few days since the farmhouse, and we were going to start up patrols again. Leo had been teaching me how to use my Katana nonstop, and so far, it had gone great. I had practiced on my own in the meantime as well, turning it into a coping mechanism for my temper. My thoughts had been on my parents recently, wandering over old memories that came through bad dreams. I didn't know why; it just seemed my mind was elsewhere. Still, they weren't all that good, and the most recent dream was making me more tempered than usual. 

"Swing harder, you aren't going to do a thing with that," my mom had said in it. "Don't fail." 

Tears pricked at my eyes, as I looked up at her with a glassy focus and tried to contain it. I wanted for it to so badly be over, to just stop. We had been practicing self-defense in the basement for what had felt like forever. I looked at dad for help, hoping he'd insert himself, mom hadn't had the best day, and the burden fell on me. His judgmental eyes looked at the tear streaming down my cheek, my carpet burned knees, my tired expression.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, young and unknowing. 

"You're always sorry," she was baffled. "I'm done, you do you," my mom scoffed, going up stairs, fed up with me. 

My dad nodded his head in annoyance at me, leaving with her. I was alone, in the basement. I remember crying my heart out, I was so angry at the situation I just lost it. I was young, throwing some sort of tantrum to help feel better. She was always so nice, it just happened to be one of those days. A memory I longed to forget. 

Patrol had gone smoothly, running around with the brothers and April tonight, as Casey was busy. We had landed on an old factory rooftop, looking over the East Village, since Leo had called it a night. 

"City's quiet, for now," he said, crouching over the side of the building. 

"I'm sure that'll change soon. With Shredder gone there's gonna' be a ton of gangsters, and super villains movin' in on his turf," Raph crouched with him. 

"You think so?" I asked, leaning on the water tower next to Donnie and April. She seemed off. 

"You okay April? What's wrong?" he asked, breaking the ice before I could. 

"I think someone's following us," April said.

I looked around, cautiously, following her eyes as smoke started to cover the cement ground. It was weird, abnormal to say the least. We had all huddled together by now, confused and concerned. 

"This is weird," Don remarked. 

"Ya' think?" Raph quipped at him. 

Suddenly, I heard someone laugh behind me, and turned around to see a woman standing on top of the water tower from before. 

"Let's play a game. Give me one of your weapons, or I'll take something precious; your shells." 

She was tall, pale skin with an hourglass like no other. A hat that looked like a witch resting over her long black hair. Raph was the first to swing at her, making a witty joke that quickly ended him up embarrassed. She dodged, coming to his backside and kicking him in his shell. Leo, Don, Mikey, April, and I had circled her now, weapons unsheathed. I held onto my Katana tightly. 

"My name is Shinigami; do you know what my name means?" she said. 

Shinigami took down Donnie first, kicking him in the chest and jerking sideways as Leo swung, making him run into April. He caught himself, as Mikey formed up against her. She went behind his back, holding the other end of his Nun chucks crisscrossed against his neck. Leo swung again, her quick movements being hard to get a handle on. I watched as he learned her style quickly, getting a blow on her as he elbowed her down onto the ground.