003

this chapter's song:
matilda harry styles

Jungwon huffed as he closed his textbook shut. He had just finished the last of his homework for the day. He kicked the side of his desk and his chair rolled back until it hit against his bed frame.

He sighed as he pulled his phone out from the back pocket of his jeans. He unlocked it— already opened on Jay's contact. He hesitated, not knowing if he wanted to text him or not.

Jungwon heard the beeping from the code bar connected to his front door, indicating that his mother was back from the grocery store. He stood up and went downstairs.

"Have you met the new family that moved in across the street?— Mr. Lee's old house?"

Jungwon bit the inside of his cheek. "No."

His mother was unpacking the groceries from out of the bags she carried them in. "I think we should go introduce ourselves to them. I bought rice cakes."

"You don't have to be so extra, mom."

"I thought it would be a nice gesture and I heard they have two children— around your age."

"I'm good." Jungwon said, hiding his hands in his pocket so he doesn't try and attempt to pick at them.

"Jungwon, please."

He looked up with wide eyes. "What?"

His mother stood up in front of him. "Could you not be so disrespectful and selfish for once? I'm doing this for you!" She shouted, Jungwon feeling a bit of her spit lingering on his face seconds after.

Jungwon gripped his hands into fists. "Fine." He was used to this.

His mother shut her eyes closed. "Look, sweetie— I'm sorry I raised my voice at you." She hesitated. "It's just— it hurts to see you all lonely."

"I'm fine." He looked down at his hands. He could see the dents from his fingernails on his palms.

"I don't think you are."

He locked his jaw. "I didn't ask you what you think."

His mother scoffed with anger. "What happened to you? I didn't raise you for you to turn out like this," She went on, "You're a disgrace."

Ouch.

"Dad didn't think so."

His mother stood there, mouth agape.

Jungwon stayed quiet, looking down at his fingers. Fiddling, picking at scabs, bleeding. "I'm going up to my room. Let me know when you want to go, I guess."

Jungwon closed the door behind him and laid flat on his bed. He closed his eyes shut and a single tear streamed down the side of his face onto the pillow beneath him.

"Fuck this." He cursed under his breath.

He put his headphones on and grabbed his phone from his desk. He clicked on his music app and shuffled his playlist. Music would calm him down.