Books and Records

I had never felt more nervous to be walking into my house. I held the door open for Austin to bring the bags in when i heard gram yell from the kitchen to meet her in there.

"Ready for this?" I look back to Austin giving him one last chance to back out.

"Absolutely" He reaches out for my hand and i lead him into the kitchen.

Gram is stood with her back to us at the sink finishing up her dishes from dinner.

"I'm home"

She grabbed the towel to dry her hands and turned to me with a smile on her face.

"I'm so gl....well well, you must be Austin" she bypassed me completely and walked immediately over to him.

"It's an absolute pleasure to meet you sweetie i've heard so much about you" Her arms extend out to him and he accepts wrapping his arms around her in a tight embrace.

"It's nice to meet you to Mrs. Andrews" His arms release her and the smile on his face just warms my heart.

"Oh please call me Jo" And then her attention is turned back to me "Any reason i had no idea he would be joining you?" eyebrow raised and a half smile on her lips.

"i didn't want to make a big deal about it, that's all." I put my hands up in defense before walking over to hug her. "i'm sorry"

"oh it's fine i just wish i would've know i would've fixed myself up a bit" she returns my hug but leans to my ear and whispers "he's even cuter in person"

I can't help but laugh as i step back from her and turn back to Austin.

"you kids get yourselves settled in, i'll be in the living room whenever you are done"

I started walking towards the stairs to my room, the lay out of this house is a little strange, there are two rooms downstairs and then an attic that i converted to a loft when i moved back home a couple years ago so i could have a little more of my own space.

My room was very much a testament to my taste, green tones found in my pillows and blanket, my record player table with a bin so full of records I'm not sure how they all fit and bookshelves in every possible open space.

It hit me that i had never had anyone up here apart from Gram and my old friend Natasha, i hadn't spoken to her in about three years due to a rather unfortunate case of miscommunication, but that's a story for another time.

"Well this is my room" I stood there trying to look as non awkward as possible but i'm not sure it was working.

His eyes roamed over the entirety of my room. He walked over to my record bins and started to gently comb through as many as he could, "You have quite a collection"

"Yeah it's kinda my thing, books and records. Most of those are originals, Gram collected them when she was young and kept them up here in the attic, i found them when i renovated."

"That's a really cool thing to have, what's your favorite you have here?"

My fingers went to pull back the records till I landed on an original 'A night at the opera', I pulled it out and moved to set it on the record player.

"My favorite album from my favorite band"

"Queen?" He said as the music began to sound through the room.

"The one and only, i have something else you would probably like."

I walked away from him to go into my closet and pull out my most prized possession, a signed Elvis record from 1968 in a shadow box. Once in hand i walk back towards Austin and turn it around to show him.