chp.25

Neal's POV

I entered my driveway after a long day at work, it was now 10 pm at night and I couldn't wait to settle in bed and sleep, I got out my car and locked the door, the lights were still on so Anura's must still be awake, I walked to the door and heard muffled music playing, I unlocked the door and went in following the sound of the music that lead me to the kitchen, I leaned against the wall and watched Anura sway her hips to the music as she stirred something in the pot, it smelled delicious.

I found myself smiling brightly as I stared at her backside, it was honestly a beautiful sight, I've always wished for moments like this, coming home from a long day at work and my girls waiting for me with a home cooked meal being prepared, for the past few weeks living with her has been amazing, my house began to be filled with so much life, it was gloomy and lonely living alone, at one point I thought of buying myself a dog to keep me company.

At times Anura would go home before me and everyday I'd come home and she'd be there, and it brings joy to my heart knowing that I have a purpose now, I've been trying my best not to push the thought of a relationship into her head, but I'd really love it if she gave me a chance, living with her gave me the opportunity to get more closer to her than I was before, but I want to learn more about her, the real her.

Anura turned her body and when our eyes connected she yelped and dropped the glass bowl on the ground causing it to shatter at her feet."Shit!" She bent down and began picking up the glass shards, I quickly went over to her and tried to reach out and touch her but she flinched, I scrunched up my brows not liking the way she reacted towards me when I tried to touch her, that has never happened before, and I didn't like it one bit, then I realized that she did go over to her house to grab more of her belongings, did something happen while she was there?

"You scared me." She said softly."I'm sorry I'll clean this up."

"Why did you do that?" I asked, she looked up at me.

"Do what?"

"You flinched a little to hard." I told her, she looked back down at the ground and was quiet for a second but then finally spoke.

"I thought... I thought you were going to hit me, force of habit I guess." She said continuing to pick the glass up, I looked at her astonished, the fact that she'd really believe that I'd ever lay a hand on her surprises me, Anura is so used to getting beating by Dave that the slightest mistake she makes she thinks she'll get hit. I grabbed her hand and shook the glasses off of them and held her tiny hands in mine, I reached for her chin and lifted it up making her stare at me.

"I'd never put my hands on you, I'm not like him." I'll never be like him, ever, she nodded her head and gave me a crooked smile, I smiled back and helped her clean up the broken glass, I grabbed a broom and sweep the rest into a dust pan while Anura went back to cooking, once I was done I walked back to her and hugged her from behind.

"It smells really good." I said looking at the pan of oxtails, my mouth watered a bit as I watched them sizzle in the pan.

"Go wash up first." She said looking at me, I nodded and stole a kiss from her leaving out the room before she could retaliate, I went upstairs to shower with a big smile never seeming to leave my face as I undressed, being around her has made me so happy lately, I hope this feeling never ends.