Chapter 11

Tw: anxiety

The poor guys didn't even have time to really celebrate before they were off to a press conference. I could only watch from backstage. After Damiano had opened the champagne bottle and celebrated with that, the questions started to roll in. I had pretty much spaced out until I heard a certain question that I did not think was appropriate for this moment or any moment in the future.

"I have to ask this because it really did look like something suspicious was going on. Damiano, at a certain point you were leaned over the table with a girl whom I did not recognize and it looked like you two were snorting something like cocaine, maybe?" The man asked in English.

"What? No, Thomas had broken a glass and the girl and I were just looking down at it. I have never done drugs or cocaine in my life and never plan to. I feel like that question was inappropriate for this conference, don't even say anything like that, please." Damiano replied in English as he got really defensive with his body language and the way he spoke.

"Yes, let's please keep the questions about the artists and the performance, thank you." The hostess said in English.

I couldn't believe it. The man had thought we had done cocaine. I started to pace. What if more people thought that we did. This could be detrimental to what they do. In reality, we had no way to prove it that we hadn't done drugs, either. My heart rate really started to increase and I headed farther backstage. Leo, who was also backstage, must've seen me because I went to shut the door to a random room I had walked into and I turned around to see him.

"Are you okay, Vivian?" He asked in Italian. A look of concern overtook his expression.

"Yeah, I'm alright." I tried to take control of my breathing. I was not about to have a panic attack in front of him.

"Are you sure? You looked stressed out."

"Just go get me a glass of water, please." I ordered. I didn't mean to sound demanding but I needed to be alone, even if it was for just five minutes.

"Okay, I'll be right back." He turned on his heel and went out of the room.

I slammed the door on accident. I panicked and locked it, sliding down until I hit the floor with my back against it. I could hear Leo banging on the door.

"Vivian, open up!" He shouted from the other side.

"Go away I just need a minute! I'm fine!"

I heard him bang on the door a couple more times before finally leaving.

I finally let it out. My panic attack took over. I was in that room for I don't know how long, trying to control my breathing before I heard a sharp knock.

"Vivian, it's me." I could identify the voice as Damiano's.

I shakily raised my hand up to unlock the door. He came in and got down to my level. He held my hand and squeezed it, making me make eye contact with him.

"It's okay. Try to copy my breathing." His voice was soft and sweet. He took a deep breath in through his nose and let it out through his mouth. I focused on him and I tried my best to mimic his breathing. We stayed like that until I calmed down.

"What happened, baby?" He held my hand with both of his now. I was grateful for that, I needed him but I would have felt suffocated if he hugged me.

"Can I talk about it later?" I asked, my voice hoarse from crying.

"Of course."

He got up and held out a hand for me to take. I accepted it, pulling myself up. He put his hand on my back until he was sure I had my balance. He opened the door and led me outside the room. The rest of the group was waiting for us.