Chapter 18

"Have I told you that I love your cover?" Damiano asked through the phone the next morning. He had called me before they were to leave for a concert that started around 11 a.m. 

"Only a million times." I responded, smiling to myself. He had been hyping me up about the cover.

"You should really check the comments on that video. I think it'd make you feel confident." He told me.

"I don't know..." I trailed off.

"C'mon. I promise there's not a lot of hate on that cover. Like, you would have to actually look for a hate comment." He reassured.

"I'll check them later."

After Damiano and I hung up, I fed the cats and Chili. Seeing as I stared school in two days, I started to get my supplies organized. Pens, pencils, books that were required for certain classes, etc. I shoved them all into a newly bought bookbag and flopped down on the couch. Chili joined me soon after, pawing at my leg.

"You need to go outside?" I cooed while scratching gently behind his ears.

I lightly pushed him off of me so I could get up and let him out of the back patio door. He bolted out into the fenced in back yard. I giggled softly at him. It was a beautiful day outside. It would be a shame to let it go to waste. 

I quickly walked back into my home and grabbed a book, a bowl, and two bottles of water. I headed back outside and poured some water into a bowl for Chili. I sat down on a lawn chair, looking up to check on Chili.

But Chili was nowhere to be found.

"What?" I asked myself, exasperated and confused. He was just here!

I quickly scanned the yard again and found the solution to my problem. A hole was dug, just big enough for Chili to squeeze himself under the fence.

"Shit!" I yelled. I ran back inside, not caring to bring anything back inside with me. I hastily dumped more food into Bidet and Legolas' bowls and made sure they had water. Grabbing a jacket, my keys, and boots, I bolted outside and jumped in my car. I had to find Chili.

Starting my car, the first of many tears started running down my face and falling off my chin. How could I lose him just like that?

I slowly drove around and around different blocks, my hope only lessening when there was no sight of him. Ugh! I was so irresponsible! He could be dead for all I know!

What if he was dead? Vic. She'd hate me. Damiano. I'd lose him too. Thomas and Ethan would resent me and I would lose everything! No one would trust me anymore.

As if on cue, Damiano called. I was about to decline but something in me made me answer.

"Hey Baby!" His voice rang out through the car speakers as soon as I picked up.

"Dami." I choked out as another wave of frustration and sadness hit me.

"Vivi? Are you okay?" Worry and concern laced his tone.

"I've lost Chili!" I shouted.

"Vivian!" He scolded.

"I'm sorry!" I sniffled.

"How did you lose him?"

"I let him out and went back inside to grab something and when I came back out, he was gone." I was hyperventilating at this point.

"Vic!" My heart sank as he called for Victoria. She's going to be so mad at me.

"Vivian's lost Chili." I heard him speak. I tensed up, waiting for her to scream at me.

"Check the river near my apartment complex." she said calmly.

"Okay." I responded desperately. 

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Shit happens." After hearing my choked-up voice, she tried to soothe me.

"You're not mad?" I asked, keeping one hand on the steering wheel while wiping my face with the other.

"No. Chili will sometimes slip past me when I try to leave the apartment. He runs down the stairs and usually ends up by the river. That's probably where he's at. Don't worry about it." Her voice was completely calm, and she even sounded like she was amused.

I let out a breath that I hadn't noticed I was holding, only to be replaced by another to be held. I still couldn't be completely sure that Chili was going to be by the river. Pulling into the parking lot, I tried to slow my heart rate. I grabbed my phone and opened the door. Heading around to the back of the building, Vic was scolding Damiano.

"Why'd you yell at her like that?" I heard her angered voice from the background.

"I didn't think! I was acting from shock!" Dami responded defensively.

"You idiot." she muttered.

Soon, I was at the river, scanning up and down the bank. To my relief, Chili was there, biting at some type of plant.

"Chili! Come here, boy!" I called. Happiness coursed through my veins as he responded to his name and came running into my arms. 

"Was he there?" I heard Vic and Damia ask in unison.

"Yes. Thank God!" I laughed as he licked my face. 

I ended the call and brought Chili back to my car and drove home.

Today was an eventful day.