Chapter 16

Everyone got set up in their usual spot and started learning the different parts. Damiano pulled me out of the room and into the kitchen. 

"Tea?" He offered, holding up a muted teal colored mug.

"Yes, please." I replied. I sat on top of the island, crossing my ankles.

He made tea for both of us. I lightly blew on mine while he drank his scolding hot. I winced at the thought of doing that.

"What was that little stunt back there?" Damiano sat beside me Indian style on the island, facing me.

I mimicked him and opened my mouth, only to close it right as I was about to speak. I looked down.

"Are you scared to sing in front of me?" he pressed.

I bit my bottom lip, still reluctant to meet his gaze. He put his hand under my chin. I looked up.

"A bit." I admitted quietly. I slouched and folded my arms over my stomach. I never liked confrontation very much.

"Vivian," He rubbed my arm like he had in the studio just minutes ago. "You don't have to be scared."

"Wow, I'm cured." I said sarcastically. A chuckle escaped his lips.

"Seriously though. I won't judge you. I get where you're coming from. I've been there. Just look at what I do for a living." His hand was now resting on my cheek. I nodded. 

He pecked my cheek and slid off the counter, holding out a hand to help me down. We put our empty mugs in the sink. I went to go get my camera from the car and Dami went back into the studio. I collected my belongings needed and met all of them in the studio. They were in the middle of a practice rundown. They sounded amazing. I would never expect anything less from them.

Even though I knew the lyrics pretty much by heart, I looked them up and skimmed through them to make sure they were locked in my mind. I had a huge tendency to forget a lot when performing.

"Practice rundown before we roll?" Leo asked. He had offered to set up my camera for me.

I looked back at the rest before nodding. Damiano handed me a mic. I took it and the other three members started playing the first bit of the song. My nervousness lingered up until I was at least halfway through the first verse. I sang sitting down. My back was straight, and my voice was soft. I didn't focus too hard on changing pitch because it was just a practice one. When it was time for the guitar solo, I had stood up and was bobbing my head to the beat. I finished the song. Vic looked at me expectantly.

"So, what happened to the 'Hey there, Delilah' Vivian? That sounded nothing like you! You were so quiet!" Vic was gesturing with her free hand while holding onto her bass by the neck.

"Don't worry. She'll be back." I responded. I cued Leo to start recording. 

The familiar tune ran through my ears and I had tried to leave my shyness behind me. I had started off more triumphantly than the previous time and sung a lot louder. I danced to the song as I sung and I slowly forgot that there were people watching. My body started to loosen up a lot more as the song moved on. Damiano caught my eye during the mini guitar solo and the expression on his face said it all. He was impressed. I finished off a lot stronger than the past time and I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"There she is!" Vic high fived me and I turned to Damiano, who was standing beside me.

"That's my girl." He wrapped an arm around my waist and rested his head on top of mine.

"You sounded really well." Thomas complimented. "Damiano, you're fired!"

"Rude!" Damiano gave Thomas the middle finger.

"It's been so long since I've heard you sing." Ethan said.

I curtsied. Damiano lifted his arm from my waist to around my shoulders.

"You have a beautiful voice, love." He said as he planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you." I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck.

~~~~~~the day they leave~~~~~~

"Oh, and call me every night." Damiano added to the growing list of things he wanted me to do. He was going to be late for his flight if he didn't get to his gate now.

"Dami, I've got it." I hugged him for the millionth time.

"I know. I'm just making sure." he hugged me tighter. "I gave you Bidet and Legolas' food, right?"

"Yes, you did. Now go! You're gonna miss your flight! The others are waiting for you!" I exclaimed, giggling.

"Right. I love you, Vivi. I'll call you tonight!" He called as he ran to catch up to everyone else.

I playfully rolled my eyes and started weaving my way through the busy airport.

I already missed them.