Chapter 23

A blur of blonde and dark hair flew past the open door.

One second I was standing there in my hotel room awkwardly. The next I was being suffocated by tight bear hugs.

"I can't breathe!" I managed to get out, my laughter strained. The three released me. I could hear Nicoletta cackling in the hallway before she finally came into the hotel room. 

Ethan cupped my face, something he's done since we were kids. He pressed a kissed to my forehead. "I didn't think I missed my little sister this much until you showed up."

"I missed you too, Edgar." I teased. He rolled his eyes playfully and pulled me into another bone-crushing hug.

"Quit hogging her!" Vic exclaimed. She practically pushed Ethan off of me to take my hands into hers. We squealed, practically jumping around like young teens. "We're planning a girls night while you're here. I've already decided." I laughed and hugged her quickly. 

Thomas hugged me as well, a huge smile on his face. "Now I won't have to hear Damiano complaining about missing you." I laughed again. Nicoletta spoke up.

"Don't say anything to him." She said, a playful, mischievous smile on her face. "Do you guys remember how to play 'Misery Business'?"

The three band members nodded. Nicoletta continued, "Well, instead of playing the last song on your set list tomorrow, right in the middle of Damiano's speech you three start playing the song."

"Oh he's going to crush Vivi before she gets the first lyric out." Ethan said, looking up at the ceiling with a faint smile on his face.

"Off topic," Vic started, turning to Nicoletta. "How the fuck did you get her here?"

Nicoletta laughed. "It wasn't easy to keep it a secret, that's for damn sure."

The five of us spent the next twenty minutes catching up. Vic, Thomas, and Ethan giddily talked about their sold out shows and Nicoletta explained her view from backstage and the area where security usually stood. I told stories from school and about the shenanigans the animals have gotten into.

After everyone left, my room felt too quiet. There wasn't a whole lot I could've done so I decided to get ready for bed. I turned on my phone to check the time and almost dropped it. It was already 3:28 a.m. 

I tossed my phone onto my bed and swiftly brushed my teeth. Crawling into bed, fatigue set over me again and I was out within minutes.

———————————————

The alarm on my phone was so loud that I almost jumped out of bed.

I quickly silenced it, trying to calm my racing heart. After doing so, I texted Nicoletta. The band was already at the venue and she confirmed that Damiano was still completely oblivious. She also told me that Vic had helped her pick a stage outfit for me.

God help me.

I threw on a hoodie and a pair of jeans. I decided to leave my hair down as I brushed my teeth. Whatever Nicoletta had in mind, she didn't need more to alter. She texted me twenty minutes later that she was on the way.

I waited giddily in the lobby. When Nicoletta arrived, she practically dragged me out to the rental car, ranting about how she didn't know how the hell she was going to sneak me in. I told her I had it covered.

"You better." She had responded, pulling into the venue. The backstage area looked confusing, so I just told Nicoletta that I'd follow her. 

We shut the car doors at the same time, trying at all measures to cover up the fact I was here. I fell into step behind Nicoletta. She shoved open one of the doors and held it open for me. I mouthed a 'thank you' and forced my footfalls to be silent. Nicoletta took the lead and hurried through the halls as if she'd walked them her whole life. 

She turned a corner and almost collided into Damiano. I covered my mouth and ducked into an empty dressing room silently. 

I heard Nicoletta mumble a quick, panicked apology. "I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going."

"You're alright." I heard Damiano reply politely. My heart leaped at the sound of his voice.

Footsteps echoed, going away from me. Only then did Nicoletta speak. "Vivian!" She whisper shouted. I poked my head out of the dressing room. She laughed quietly. I did the same, covering my mouth to try not to make any noise. 

Nicoletta finished escorting me to Ethan's dressing room. He embraced me, ruffling my hair. I shoved him off playfully, earning a snicker from him. I was to stay in his room until a they went onstage. Anticipation was already coursing through me, making me jittery with excitement.

It was going to a painfully long six hours.