Chapter 17

I got home before noon from the airport. Chili met me at the door, and he danced around my heels as I walked toward my room to check on the cats. I had to keep them separated because I didn't know how they would react around each other. They had been fine together for the little time they've seen each other at the shared house, but it's been a hot minute since they've spent this much time together. Chili had the living room and kitchen to himself while Bidet and Legolas had my room and the master bathroom.

I've always wanted a pet, but with the amount of work that I will be taking on, I won't have time to take care and train one of my own. I only offered to watch Chili, Legolas, and Bidet because they've been trained, and I don't have to keep a constant eye on them. 

The kitchen counter had become home to many different forms, articles, and bills. It had only grown the closer it got to starting school. I sighed, knowing that I needed to go through and sort it, but every time I looked at it, I got discouraged. Though, I couldn't leave it there today. I wanted a full weekend to myself before I had to start school. 

Sitting down on top of the counter already made me want to claw my eyes out. I reluctantly started picking up strangling pieces of paper and tediously sorting them into two piles: school and bills.

Getting up to check on the cats and letting Chili in and out of the back door was my way of procrastinating, mostly because when I let Chili out into the fenced in back yard, he never wanted to come back in. I would just leave the door open, but it was way too hot outside for that. It was practically past dinnertime before I finished going through everything.

I rummaged through my freezer for something to eat. Soon, I found a frozen pizza with dairy free cheese that was dangerously close to being expired. I turned on the oven so it would preheat before I would place the frozen pizza in there. Just as the oven beeped, my phone rang. My heart raced as I read the name.

"Hey, Love!" Damiano's voice came through.

"Hi!" I responded, suddenly a lot happier. "How was your flight?"

"It wasn't too bad. Slept most of the way here."

"I wish I could be there."

"I know you do- Vic stop!" It sounded like Damiano's phone was getting stomped on.

"Hi Vivi! You're on speaker now." Vic announced triumphantly. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Hi Vic!" I managed to get out between laughs.

"Give me my phone!" I heard Dami plead.

"Let me talk to her! She's my sister!" Ethan exclaimed.

I decided to put my phone on speaker and set it down while I checked on the pizza. Unfortunately, it wasn't done, so I decided to grab my laptop and pay the bills. Listening to the five of them argue was pretty entertaining. 

When I checked on the pizza again, it was finally done. I took it out of the oven and very happily got out a plate and napkin and settled down on the couch, still listening to the quarrels. 

"Okay. I finally shook them off." Dami said, out of breath.

"Hey! What if I wanted to talk to them." I responded, giggling softly.

"Oh, well. They can wait." 

I quickly switched to FaceTime so I could see his face. The view behind him looked like he was on the roof of some hotel.

"I listened to your cover about 100 times because I missed your voice." he spoke softly with a hint of sorrow in his voice.

"I'm glad you like it." I started. "I missed you before you got on the plane. It's been way to quiet at my house, besides Chili and your cats."

"How are they?"

"They've been okay. Slept most of the time."

"Mmm." He hummed.

I finished my pizza and ended my call with Damiano. While throwing away my plate and napkin, I glanced over at the still remaining pile of bills. I couldn't just leave them there. 

About an hour later, the bills were paid and I settled down in bed. Bidet had cuddled up against me and Legolas curled up on my dresser. I opened my phone and surfed the internet for a bit. I fell asleep with my phone on Damia's Instagram page. 

I missed him so much already.