Chapter 20

“Amber Sabrina Rousseaux!” 

Ah. There it is. The screech I’d been anticipating for the past hour. 

I was already dressed for the day after Drew brought me home this morning, but I wasn’t ready for the wrath of Livia Rousseaux. 

When Drew dropped me off an hour ago, we saw Nathan’s car pulling up at the same time. However, Ruby didn’t call for me, nor did he request me, which only meant one thing--my mother ordered that she’d be the one to  summon me today. 

The time I waited here only confirmed my thoughts that Nathan was telling my mother about the engagement. I was only waiting for her to call. 

And here it was. 

“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Drew asked as he wrapped his arms around my waist, both of us staring at the door. 

I sighed. “She's my mother. What’s the worst that can happen?” 

“I don’t know…she sounds pretty pissed.” 

I spun in his arms with a teasing smile of my own. “Is the big bad-boy vampire Drew Bronimir afraid of the queen?” I taunted, causing him to roll his eyes. 

“No. I’m only concerned about my mate.” He brought his lips slowly down to mine, but before I could get a chance to taste him, the door swung open and he was gone in a blink. 

Great. 

“Mother,” I greeted innocently with a curtsey before folding my arms neatly in front of me again. 

“Don’t you ‘mother’ me, Amber. Do you know who was here a few minutes ago?” 

“Enlighten me,” I said, feigning innocence. 

However, she could smell my bullshit. 

“It was Duke Derulo! And he casually told your father and I that he is withdrawing his proposal at your request, and he’ll be returning home effective immediately. I tried to talk him into staying so that I can talk some sense into you, but he still left.” 

“Well good for him.” I smiled but my mother hated it. 

“Have you lost your mind Amber? You dismissed every suitor at your ball, and we were more than pleased with the duke. Now I will have to arrange another one and… God, do you know how embarrassing that is?” 

I nodded. “I do know, and that is why there will be no need for another ball,” I told her firmly and she raised an eyebrow at me. 

“I beg your pardon?” 

“I broke the agreement with the duke--" 

“Behind my back,” she interjected, never letting a minute pass by without making me know how much I let her down. I bit down on the inside of my cheek until I tasted blood before continuing. 

I spent all night preparing this. It better work. 

“I broke the engagement with the duke because I am seeing someone else,” I said as I watched her face go pale. 

“Someone else?” 

“That is what I said, yes.” 

Here it comes. 

“Was he at the ball?” she asked instead of what I’d been expecting. No insults disguised as words of wisdom? You surprised me, Mother. 

It took a while to reign my composure as I returned my attention back to her. I forced a tight smile.