Chapter 48

I buried my brother and sister today. It wasn’t what I imagined would happen. But it was the sacrifice they made to save me, and I knew that I couldn’t let them die in vain.

It was a bittersweet moment. When I went to them, I thought I’d be waking up with the agenda to give them my blood to revive them. But instead, I was burying them. However, it gave me a little peace knowing that I finally got the chance to say goodbye.

Years ago, when they disappeared, I always felt as if a piece of me was missing, knowing that I had no clue where they were. But to have the chance to actually say goodbye was far much better than I expected.

Luckily, Mason was okay. He kept apologizing to me, but I couldn’t express enough how glad iI was that Max broke the link because a second longer and we’d be burying him too. Elma didn’t know why or how the spell didn’t work, but I didn’t blame her either. After all I’ve learnt about my blood, maybe mixing it with a vampire’s blood wasn’t the best call.

Drew, on the other hand, had barely left my side. When I woke up, he hugged me for thirty minutes straight, mumbling thanks for waking up and coming back to him. I knew exactly how he felt. I felt it last night when I thought he had died, so I knew the pain he must’ve felt, thinking he lost me to the subconscious world. So, I gave him his movement to appreciate that I was safe before leaving his embrace to cuddle beside my siblings.

The sun was already setting when we finally brought them to the forest, where we buried Lorenzo.

The dandelions were gone, only leaving the stems, yet it was beautiful.

I wanted to take my parents, so they could have the closure I had. But I didn’t know how I would explain that their dead children for almost five years had no sign of decaying or how I even found them in the first place in the middle of the ocean.

But I knew how to give them that closure. When I woke up, I found that a part of them lingered in me—a part which they wanted me to tell mom and dad. Somehow, they left the words in my mind, so I wrote them down on paper, capturing each word just as they left it in my brain.

I knew it was probably chaos at the Kingdom since I didn’t return home this morning, and I had been staying away from the media, so I had no idea if it left the castle walls just yet. But I wasn’t quite ready to face it. I was saying goodbye to Aliah and Alex.

For good this time.

The cool breeze tickled my skin as I left a rose on both their graves. It was only Max, Mason, Drew, and I. Elma remained at the house, still obsessed with figuring out how the spell failed, though I assured her that it was okay.

Oddly, I didn’t cry or shed a single tear. Even when Max and Mason filled the holes, I didn’t feel the urge to weep.

I finally understood what Aliah told me, that they would always be with me. They left a certain peace in my spirit that I couldn’t understand. They did it on purpose, too, so I wouldn’t be driven by emotion and get myself killed instead of ending Dageian.

Perhaps this was their plan from the beginning. Maybe they knew that the spell would fail, and they’d have to save me. I was grateful, and I wished they could hear me in whatever afterlife there was, so they could see just how much they not only helped me but healed me too.

I no longer felt the urge to avenge them, not even from Dageian. I simply wanted to get rid of him for the mere happiness and peace of my mate and me. Too long have we been pawns in his game, and I say that enough is enough.

Elma used a spell to remake a new dagger quicker than the old one before leaving for the forest. There was no way we were going to fail this time. Not again.