Chapter 45

Drew’s POV

My chest clenched. I could feel the sweat already forming on my face as I sat in anticipation. Elma mumbled in another language as she remained focused, and Max watched Mason in the same type of worry that I had for Amber.

This was far too dangerous. I couldn’t say I supported the idea of sending Amber in a space where she could get lost forever, but I wouldn’t dare tell her not to. I tried to be as supportive to her as possible, once it doesn’t mean definite death. However, telling her not to speak to her siblings was far beyond me, so I simply sat and hoped for the best.

So far, everything seemed normal. The three Rousseuax’s on the bed were as still as water, and Mason and Elma remained focused. I didn’t move an inch, knowing that the slightest noise could distract any one of them.

I was grateful to Mason for doing this. I wanted to do it myself; I really did. But the witch was confident that I’d end up getting Amber lost in there instead of being her anchor. I understood why. Even with the concentrated look on his face, Mason twitched every couple of seconds, and his eyebrows would move now and then, yet he was staying strong.

By now, she would’ve met them, and I was eager to know what was going on in her headspace. Were they happy to see her? Were they upset that she was mated to me?

From what I’ve learnt about them and have seen years ago, they hate vampires, maybe even more than Amber did. After decades of being alive, I’ve come to realize that it was a Rousseaux thing. They always somehow find out about our existence and despise the very idea of bloodsuckers. It was when Elma told us the story of Dageian’s origin that it made sense. Their blood was stolen to create ‘monsters’, so maybe, just maybe, a legacy lived on in the law of nature that the royal family and vampires would remain enemies.

It made me wonder, if this is so, then why was Amber my mate? There are seven billion human beings on earth, yet my mate ended up being a part of the royal family of Consok. I remember how I felt when I learnt about our bond twenty-two years ago. I was so… troubled. Was nature punishing me for what I did? For who I became? I thought she would never accept me, so I decided to avoid her and save myself the heartbreak of her rejecting me, which I was sure she would. I also felt—I knew actually, that I didn’t deserve her.
I would’ve never thought that I’d get to hold her and call her mine two decades later.

It still felt surreal, and I won’t ever have that ruined.

Veronica almost did two days ago when she brought up my past. I could’ve sworn that Amber would ask me what Veronica meant, but she didn’t. Relief couldn’t begin to describe what I felt. Memories of the countless times she used to ask what I meant when I told her that I didn’t deserve her came back to mind, and it scared me to actually tell her why I said that.

Luckily, she didn’t even bring it up again. I wouldn’t be able to bear the sight of the pain in her eyes if I should ever tell her.

We’ve come too far, and I’d be damned if I should lose her to anything or anyone.

Not even death himself.

I noticed as Mason twitched again, this time a bit harder than usual. His brother saw too, and we both became rigid and anticipated something else, but soon he relaxed again as if nothing happened. I pinched the bridge of my nose as I leaned back in the chair again, waiting impatiently for her to wake up.

I don’t want to rush her. I knew that if I got the chance to see my family again, I’d probably spend an entire month catching up. I knew the importance of family, and even before I stepped into her life that night at her ball, I knew Amber adored her older siblings. They were her everything, and when she lost them, everything went south for her.