Chapter 46

Amber's POV, earlier that day

I closed my eyes and waited for impact, but it never came.

I didn’t feel it when I landed, but I knew I wasn’t falling anymore. It was as if I was whisked from the abyss and thrown into a place of warmth and familiarity, yet I dared not to open my eyes. I could say I was scared. Even doing what Elma instructed and keeping my thoughts focused on my siblings, there was still a tiny possibility that I could be off by a bit. I would be lying if I said I didn’t think about Drew too.

I listened, but the only sound source was a melodious chirp of some type of bird and the quiet flow of what sounded like a stream. With a deep breath, I allowed my eyes to flutter open, and little by little, I beheld the beauty before me.

In all my life of travelling, vacations and visits to the most prestigious castles in the world, I have never laid eyes on a more beautiful idiosyncrasy. The first thing I noticed was the feathery pink hue that engulfed the atmosphere. It was like fog, yet I could see everything else so clearly. It was cool, too and tickled my skin with a soft caress that plunged me into my own world of solace.

I let my eyes wander more around the area. There was no sun, but the sky was littered with tiny specks of light that seemed like stars, but they were brighter. It also held a similar colour to the fog around me, and the plants complemented the physique of this realm—whatever realm it is—but everything seemed perfect.

I feathered my fingers through the lush grass that I landed on. It was softer than the grass on earth, yet I somehow couldn’t pluck it out of the ground. It was bestrewed with wild, purple and blue flowers with an unfamiliar petal pattern, and small insects roamed along their way as if routined.

I was in utter and complete awe at the place. If this is where Alex and Aliah were, they surely wouldn’t want to come back to earth.

My body felt like it belonged to someone else as I stood, and even walking felt floating in the air even though my feet were planted to the ground. For the first time since I arrived, I smiled as a furry animal brushed against my ankle. This wasn’t heaven, but it seemed like a close equivalent if you asked me.

I then remembered why I was here in the first place, and as I focused more, I noticed that I could still feel the area around me in the conscious world. I would still feel myself holding my siblings’ hands, I could feel the brush of the wind on my forehead every now and then, and I could hear Elma’s low mumbling as she kept me here.

I knew that Mason could feel my peace, but I acknowledged that my emotions would change once I found Alex and Aliah, and I wouldn’t want him to get too emotional on my behalf. I figured that I would leave as soon as possible, as soon as I got to see them again.

Looking around, I noticed that I was alone except for the tiny critters that tumbled around. I felt a hint of panic that I might’ve landed in the wrong place, but I tried to suppress the feelings, remembering that Mason would feel it too and probably think I was in trouble. They were all quiet now, but the slightest slip-up, and I knew Drew would go all caveman on everyone.

“Alex? Aliah?” I called, feeling as if I was disturbing the peace and quiet of the area. But I knew I had to find them. “It’s me! I’m here.”

I frowned when I was met with more silence. Elma said that since they knew I was coming, they’d seek me out too. Yet, here I was in a strange place. Alone.

Sighing, I plopped down on the incredibly soft grass and buried my face between my knees and chest. If I continued wandering, I could get lost and risk Mason letting go. I knew I was focused enough to be where they are, so I wasn’t sure why I’d end up here—alone.