Chapter 34

Two weeks of mourning went by faster than I expected. 

I wasn't able to do anything because everything led to my sorrow of losing Lorenzo. Each day it became easier, but the sting was always there. Not just for him, but the twins too—even Alisha. 

Consok has surprisingly been quiet over the fourteen days. 

There hasn't been a sign of a vampire, other than the regular local ones. Dageian hasn't tried anything either, and Veronica had been giving me and Drew space. She has been scarce. I suspected that our gloom was making her uncomfortable. 

In all honesty, it was Drew who made me get up in the mornings. Seeing that I gave up vampire hunting, I felt like I no longer had a purpose other than being a princess. I carried out my daily duties as effectively as I could, pleasing my parents and the kingdom, but in the night, I felt lost. 

I wanted to start hunting Dageian, but I wasn't in any mental space to do so effectively. Driven on revenge and grief would definitely get me killed, and Drew believed so too. 

But I was back. Amber Rousseaux was back. 

Two weeks was far too long for me to be glooming around and sulking. It was only human, but it made me feel unproductive -- and unproductiveness made me upset. 

"Are you sure you're ready?" Drew asked for the hundredth time since he came here. I threw him a stern look over my shoulder as I strapped on my boots. I appreciated his concern wholeheartedly, but sometimes it became too overbearing. 

"Drew, I'm fine," I told him in all honesty, and he sighed deeply as he sat beside me. 

"Okay. I just wanted to make sure, you know? You've been pretty down lately." 

"Well, I'm doing a lot better now, okay? Trust me." To lessen his concern, I leant in and brushed my lips against his. Tingles immediately bathed my nerves at the innocent and straightforward gesture, and I knew he felt it too, considering that it's unnatural for mates to go so long without completing the bond. 

Every time we kissed, our bodies reacted ten times more intensely than usual. I knew it affected Drew the most, considering his primal instinct to ultimately claim me as his. But after all that happened, I believed he was thoughtful, thinking that I might not be ready for it just yet. 

What he didn't know was that my body called for his. Even in the middle of the night, I'd wake up in a sweating mess after having the most erotic dreams about him.

I wanted it. I wanted him. But I suppose the perfect moment will soon come. 

He pecked my lips gently as we broke away, and he pulled me into his arms before burying his nose in my neck. I believed my scent calmed him because he did it regularly, especially all that happened after Dageian.

The weather suggested that we stay inside, but I wanted to go out and complete what we planned for today. The dark, grey clouds rumbled with thunder, and the light patter of rain had already begun, but I could care less.